6.1 surround placement and spacing question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yellow there.

At the moment I have a 4.1 system and am receiving another pair soon, one speaker will be for the centre and the other a surround back channel. All my speakers are floorstanders. Now the stuff I use my room for is pretty much everything, surround gaming, movies, CDs, surround music...and it's kinda hard trying to decide how to really properly place all the speakers around the room as I have learned that the placement of speakers for surround music listening is different from movies listening (not sure where video games speaker placement lies here).

Do you guys have any recommendations on what way would be best to place all the speakers? I'm thinking if I place speakers to music standards, movies audio will sound quite odd, and if I place speakers with movie standards, surround music might be off smile.gif

Also, how far apart should the front and back speakers be from each other, depending on the speaker configuration?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
I wasnt aware that there are different "best" placement recommendations for music vs movies.
There is a "standard" placement for speakers according to THX standards but that is assuming the room is empty. Rarely is that the case. Best placement will vary according to the size of the room, the location of the listening position, the type of furniture, the type of speakers, etc.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I don't really know for sure I guess if there are different recommended speaker placement rules. I've just sort of read these things on random sites that seem to hint at it. I think for music, the width between the two front speakers should also be your seating distance, so my speakers are 6ft apart, so I sit 6ft away. If movie standards use that too then I guess I have nothing to worry about.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 295
These might help you as baseline guides, then people tweak to their room constraints:
Audyssey visual:
dsx_480x335.jpg

This visual from my Denon 4520CI manual, makes it easier to grasp all the 7.1/9.1/11.1 speaker layout.
11.x%2520speaker%2520layout%2520via%2520Denon%2520Manual.JPG
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Dudex, it seems I have my system setup right then. I think if I listen to surround music it should be correct.

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page