Listening Locations Philly/NYC Area - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey all,
Another new member here and I've searched through a ton of threads but does anyone know of any locations in nyc or Philly area where I can go hear speakers before making a decision?
More specific I live in the Bensalem area and constantly visiting in the Bronx. I dont mind driving as long as the location is worth it.

I visited a magnolia in oxford valley in PA but they didnt have the speakers I was looking for and they had a pretty bad setup (plastic rumbling from the subs, and scratched disc in the bluray player).

I just got an onkyo 818 for $650 new and now considering the polk rti a5 , csi a4, psw505. I'm open to any suggestions if its in that price range.
Will be used for mostly movies/gaming/tv/sports. Will add a zone two for music only later on.

Any advice helps. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hello mass,

I think best buy is a polk dealer. best buys are all over the philly & jersey area.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Ok guess I'll call a few up to see who has what. The one I went to yesterday had a couple from the monitor line, some klipsch icon synergy, energy, difinitive, belkin, and a few others not on my list. None really sounded terrible
post #4 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Big box stores are almost never good venues for auditioning speakers. But they're the ones that carry mass-market lines like Polk. And Polk is constantly churning its line, so speakers are regularly disappearing. The PSW 505 sub is already discontinued, for example. You may be better off choosing from among the options that are available near you.

There are specialty audio stores in both cities, and in New Jersey (which I presume you pass through regularly). Google "audio stores" and a location to find them. The only one I know personally is Audio Nexus in Summit, which certainly carries some speakers in your price range. In the specialty shops, be prepared to resist the pitch for expensive speaker wires.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #5 of 6 Old 09-20-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post

Hey all,
Another new member here and I've searched through a ton of threads but does anyone know of any locations in nyc or Philly area where I can go hear speakers before making a decision?
More specific I live in the Bensalem area and constantly visiting in the Bronx. I dont mind driving as long as the location is worth it.

I visited a magnolia in oxford valley in PA but they didnt have the speakers I was looking for and they had a pretty bad setup (plastic rumbling from the subs, and scratched disc in the bluray player).

I just got an onkyo 818 for $650 new and now considering the polk rti a5 , csi a4, psw505. I'm open to any suggestions if its in that price range.
Will be used for mostly movies/gaming/tv/sports. Will add a zone two for music only later on.

Any advice helps. Thanks

Any advice:

Since loudspeaker sound quality is so dependent on room acoustics, we have so many speakers that lack obvious sonic shortcomings, and we have automated system optimization tools that take care of minor discrepancies, the value of showroom demos is highly questionable.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Any advice:

Since loudspeaker sound quality is so dependent on room acoustics, we have so many speakers that lack obvious sonic shortcomings, and we have automated system optimization tools that take care of minor discrepancies, the value of showroom demos is highly questionable.
yes i've come to the realization that no matter where i listen to them it wont give me an exact idea until i listen to them in my apt.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page