Condo and Big Bass Traps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone, I wanted to get everyone's opinion in regards to making bass traps for my HT which is in my living room. Im not married so I dont have to worry about getting it approved. I only share the rear wall of my living room. My room is approximately 15Wx30Lx10H. My LP is approximately 2/3rds close to the front wall (not shared). Ive done some testing and have found out that our walls have decent sound absorbtion when playing loud music or watching a movie. My neighbor says she cant really hear music but does get some low vibrations. My sub is on the side where we dont share walls. My question is..... If i were to make some tall Bass Traps (thinking of doing them 6inches thick and 8 feet tall)using some of that Safe N Sound Roxul material and cover the majority of the rear wall, would that help with the vibrations? I was thinking of making them with the Kilby furniture avail at IKEA. Im sure I wont stop all the vibrations but would it significally help? Also the flooring is ceramic tile and does not appear to vibrate enough to shake the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Bass traps will do nothing to reduce sound reaching your neighbor, but they will improve the sound quality inside your room.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ok quick question. I dont want to be bothering my neighbor often for testing .. so heres my prob. Is it better to place the subwoofer on the opposite of the shared wall. Or should i place my sub next to my sofa which is located 2/3rds from the viewing wall(non shared) for least vibrations on rear wall (shared). they only hear it when its very loud and low
post #4 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 02:08 PM

Liked: 17
You would likely need to add an additional layer of sheetrock /Quietrock with acoustic adhesive like green glue to block sound transfer along the common wall. I have done that in my home to reduce noise from the HT and in another room on the ceiling to make up for terrible lack of insulating by the builder between the basement and the floor above. it makes a large difference.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-17-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks but im only renting at the condo so im sure construction is not an option. I know the best thing i can do is move out. But im just trying make with the most that i can have.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page