Need help with audio conversion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here's my issue. I just bought an Elgato Game Capture HD. It only accepts stereo input. So this kills the chain in my surround setup causing everything to be stereo. I'm looking for solutions. I'm guessing I basically need to convert a 1080p + 5.1 hdmi signal into a 1080p + Stereo hdmi (or component) signal. I've been searching for hours but finding a device you don't know the name of is tough work. <.> Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

EDIT: Some more info. I have a STR-DN840 AV receiver and I've set the output to amp+tv but which causes the av receiver to show up as stereo only to all connected devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-20-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Bump? Anything? Maybe this isn't the right section to ask this sort of question?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Liked: 21
The following thread in the General Gaming Help forum looks to be the best place on AVS to ask questions about the Elgato Game Capture HD, with 21 previous posts. Hope that helps.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449315/anyone-here-got-an-elgato-game-capture-hd#post_22777347
Slynk likes this.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-20-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

I've actually read through that thread but the solution is to spend another $200. I will, however, read through that section of the forums and post a thread there if I don't find a solution. Thank you for pointing it out. ^^
post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2013, 09:54 PM

Liked: 21
A further thought: I'm not a gamer (I almost wrote "not a game player", which should prove I'm not smile.gif), but I was looking at the on-line information for the Elgato Game Capture, and it seems to me that the recommended connection method for a home theater system (with an AVR and speaker system in addition to a TV) should be as follows:

* connect Playstation 3 to AV input, or connect Xbox 360 to HDMI input, of the Game Capture HD

* set the game console (Playstation or Xbox) audio output to stereo mode, if there is such an option in its setup menu

* connect the HDMI output of the Game Capture to HDMI input of your Sony AVR, and connect HDMI output of AVR to HDMI input of TV (as you normally do)

* then the Game Capture HD will record audio and video while you're gaming (the purpose of the device), and your TV, AVR and speaker system will work "as usual" - except that the audio signal going to the AVR will be stereo-only rather than 5.1 surround, which is a limitation imposed by the Game Capture HD

* You will still be able to listen to the audio through all your speakers, by choosing a "synthetic" surround sound mode of the AVR, such as Dolby Pro Logic IIx or DTS Neo 6
post #6 of 7 Old 09-21-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slynk View Post

Bump? Anything? Maybe this isn't the right section to ask this sort of question?

Looks like a HDMI capture device with some bells and whistles to appeal to gamers.

So, where's the beef? I have a HDMI capture device that works well and cost half as much. Where is the beef? ;-)
post #7 of 7 Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Looks like a HDMI capture device with some bells and whistles to appeal to gamers.

So, where's the beef? I have a HDMI capture device that works well and cost half as much. Where is the beef? ;-)

It has twitch streaming support built in. In fact you can live stream to twitch and record a copy to edit later as well simultaneously. Has built in support for capturing and mixing a mic input into the video. It can automatically lower the sound of the game audio when you are speaking. And something called flashback support which I still don't fully understand; I think it keeps a temporary file of what's been recorded for the past X minutes and allows you to recover and use that video even if you didn't hit record (but I might be wrong about this feature.) That's probably the big features that sets it above a regular hdmi capture device.

@Sonic Icons

Thanks but that turns anything I want to capture into a stereo device which is just about as bad. XD

For now, I just unhook it when I don't need it but it would be nice to leave it in my loop. I was thinking about maybe a 1 ->2 switch might fix the problem. I could have a regular pass to the tv and then the other one passed to the elgato. So if it's passing to the elgato, it's stereo, and if it's passing to the tv, it's surround sound. The ps3 is still going to require me to switch between the av and hdmi inputs for surround sound but I can still leave everything in the loop and have it work. That's just a theory though. I don't know how 1->2 switches are registered on an av receiver (I'm hopping it just registers as w/e is on the passthrough end.)
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page