Powered Soundbar, Speakers, and a Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Essentially what I'm trying to accomplish is to have a powered soundbar, a receiver, and my new HDTV all play nicely. Right now I have my TV optical out to the reciever playing out of my speakers. However now I'd like to use the soundbar most of the time, however occasionally I want to be able to use my outdoor speakers which are connected to the receiver. If I leave all the connections the same as I have right now and plug the optical out on the receiver to the soundbar, will both the speakers and the soundbar be able to play TV sound/music at the same time? Is what I'm trying to do possible?

TV: Vizio M501d
Soundbar: Vizio SB4020m-B0
Receiver: Denon AVR-2803
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-24-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett3rThanU View Post

Essentially what I'm trying to accomplish is to have a powered soundbar, a receiver, and my new HDTV all play nicely. Right now I have my TV optical out to the reciever playing out of my speakers. However now I'd like to use the soundbar most of the time, however occasionally I want to be able to use my outdoor speakers which are connected to the receiver. If I leave all the connections the same as I have right now and plug the optical out on the receiver to the soundbar, will both the speakers and the soundbar be able to play TV sound/music at the same time? Is what I'm trying to do possible?

TV: Vizio M501d
Soundbar: Vizio SB4020m-B0
Receiver: Denon AVR-2803

There are such things as optical splitters:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/27027?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_campaign=SEM&gclid=CLSCvYHu5LkCFROZ4AodkWkAvw

Hook both the AVR and the Soundbar to the TV via one of these and turn on the device you want to listen to.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-24-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Using an optical switch as Arnyk suggested is probably the best way. I don't know if you'd get audio from both your speakers and the sound bar by going optical out from receiver to sound bar, but even if it does work, the result may not be pretty. Having both playing at the same time would likely create an "echo" sound, plus the tonal qualities would be different and may not sound good together.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page