post #1 of 6 Old 09-29-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Denon AVR-2809ci
Fronts: B&W 683
Rears: B&W 686

That's my current setup...no subwoofer and no center...for now.

Just wondering what my Crossover setting should be set at for these speakers?
Currently my setup is as following:
Front-Set to Large
Surround-Set to Small

Crossover Frequency:
Front: 60Hz
Surround: 90Hz
LFE 120Hz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-29-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you haven't got a sub then I'm not sure if your crossover setting means anything. In any case, if you aren't running a sub then you'll need to run your fronts at least as large and the LFE channel should be directed to them so long as the sub setting in the AVR is set to 'Off'.

FWIW leave your LFE set ot 120Hz for when you do get a sub since the LFE channel can output up to 120Hz so setting it lower will just cut it off (and it doesn't get redirected anywhere else, you just lose any signal above whatever you set it to if not 120Hz).

The 686 should be capable of reaching 80Hz without issues so I'd try it set to 80Hz rather than 90Hz otherwise you're needlessly redirecting directional signal (ie above 80Hz) to the front speakers which will reduce the surround effect.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3 of 6 Old 09-29-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

If you haven't got a sub then I'm not sure if your crossover setting means anything. In any case, if you aren't running a sub then you'll need to run your fronts at least as large and the LFE channel should be directed to them so long as the sub setting in the AVR is set to 'Off'.

FWIW leave your LFE set ot 120Hz for when you do get a sub since the LFE channel can output up to 120Hz so setting it lower will just cut it off (and it doesn't get redirected anywhere else, you just lose any signal above whatever you set it to if not 120Hz).

The 686 should be capable of reaching 80Hz without issues so I'd try it set to 80Hz rather than 90Hz otherwise you're needlessly redirecting directional signal (ie above 80Hz) to the front speakers which will reduce the surround effect.

Thanks, the fronts are set to large already and the SUB is set to OFF. I will set the 686 to 80Hz instead of 90Hz....what about my fronts, the 683, should I leave them at 60Hz or 40Hz or which?
post #4 of 6 Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradizecityz View Post

....what about my fronts, the 683, should I leave them at 60Hz or 40Hz or which?

With the fronts set to LARGE and no subwoofer, that front channel crossover setting should be irrelevant.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 6 Old 10-01-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

With the fronts set to LARGE and no subwoofer, that front channel crossover setting should be irrelevant.

Ok awesome...but I am interested in getting a subwoofer soon...when I get the subwoofer, what should the crossover freq be set at or should I still leave them as Large?
post #6 of 6 Old 10-04-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 367
When you get your subwoofer, run Audyssey again. (I hope you've already run Audyssey with your current speakers!) The receiver will determine reasonable crossover frequencies. It might or might not set your fronts speakers as Large. Manually set them to Small if they aren't. ("Small" means "enable bass management". The subwoofer will be better able to handle the low bass frequencies than your front speakers.) You can then raise the crossover frequencies of the front speakers to 80Hz if you want.

If you haven't already, you might take the time to read the Audyssey 101/FAQ at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993 It answers the questions you've asked here in much more detail. The calibration instructions in the receiver's manual are woefully inadequate.

Selden
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page