Level matching for blind tests - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've been lurking in this forum for quite a while and have read time and again that, when comparing audio equipment by ear, the equipment has to be level matched. Now I ask: how is the level matching done? By measuring voltage on the speaker leads?

Sorry for the poor english!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Yes. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1099689/how-to-level-match-components/30#post_15395066
post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I have level-matched a variety of ways in the past. Voltage matching works well for line-level components and power amps, less so for speakers which may vary by more than that in a pair due to their own errors or room interactions (I would check voltage at the terminals and with a decent mic). For components, I typically measured at 1 kHz using a precision RMS meter, then checked test tones at 20/50/100 Hz and 1/2/5/10/20 kHz. More or less. The last few years I was a tech we had equipment that would do wideband sweeps so I just did that instead. Most SS equipment is very flat 20 - 20 kHz so a 20 Hz/1 kHz/20 kHz check will usually do it. Tube components might show more variation depending upon loading.

For any testing we always level-matched to 0.1 dB or less at 1 kHz, and generally that held across the frequency band for all line-level components. Power amps, speakers, ack, usually matched at 1 kHz and prayed. smile.gif Sometimes we'd match at other frequencies due to a bump in speaker, room, or speaker/room response.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegadede View Post

I've been lurking in this forum for quite a while and have read time and again that, when comparing audio equipment by ear, the equipment has to be level matched. Now I ask: how is the level matching done? By measuring voltage on the speaker leads?
!

Yes. The important thing to remember is that you want to match the voltages within about 1% which is about the same as 0.1 dB.

Its all about matching the two sources, not looking for flat frequency response. So, you can use a voltmeter that is not calibrated in dB and that does not itself have flat frequency response. A cheap 4 digit DVM that can be bought in a hardware store or home improvement store can do the job.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page