Covering a Desk to Reduce Reflection. What Material? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, kinda new here but I have been lurking in the forum for years before I made some audio purchases recently.

Unlike most of folks here, I don't really do much HT and primarily do just music listening at desk in my bedroom. I have recently noticed very glaring reflection issues off the desk and my leather chair and I want to do something about it to alleviate the problem... My desk is a very big one and has a glass panel on top, and together with my leather chair, create very noticeable imaging problems. My speakers have been sitting on the desk but I could feel vibration which I sorta treated with a 1.8 inch thick high school year book placed on the bottom (not very elegant, I know...)

So my question is, is there anything cheap out there to cover the desk with to lessen the early reflection? Would simple fabric from Walmart or table cloth work reasonably well? I am also planning to replace the leather chair with a simple wooden chair (minimal frame) I have at home. Oh, and aesthetics is a non-issue.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 325
You need a thick and (sound) absorbent pad. I've used cloth, woven place-mats with some success. A desk chair made with a fabric surface instead of leather might work OK and would be more comfortable than a wooden chair. Something like this, perhaps: http://www.staples.com/Office-Star-Fabric-Ergonomic-Armless-Task-Chairs/product_SS1036156

Selden
post #3 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rin View Post

Hi all, kinda new here but I have been lurking in the forum for years before I made some audio purchases recently.

Unlike most of folks here, I don't really do much HT and primarily do just music listening at desk in my bedroom. I have recently noticed very glaring reflection issues off the desk and my leather chair and I want to do something about it to alleviate the problem... My desk is a very big one and has a glass panel on top, and together with my leather chair, create very noticeable imaging problems. My speakers have been sitting on the desk but I could feel vibration which I sorta treated with a 1.8 inch thick high school year book placed on the bottom (not very elegant, I know...)

So my question is, is there anything cheap out there to cover the desk with to lessen the early reflection? Would simple fabric from Walmart or table cloth work reasonably well? I am also planning to replace the leather chair with a simple wooden chair (minimal frame) I have at home. Oh, and aesthetics is a non-issue.

I had problems with reflections off of the top of a lectern, and solved them with layers of felt from the fabric store. A goodly number of layers, about an inch thick.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What type of speakers are they? Can they be wall mounted, or raised, like sound engineers use?
post #5 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I sometimes use a big doubled up layer of fake fur over my LCD TV screen when I settled in late in the evening listening to a favourite album. A minimal investment from a fabric shop and it really helps to tighten up the soundstage.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page