Has anyone tried using just horn tweeters for front high/wide channels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-05-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I feel like experimenting. I currently have my system in a 5.1 configuration in a mid sized living room. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile at all to use wide dispersion horn tweeters as my front hight and wide channels for added ambiance? Has anyone ever tried?cool.gif

I remember using my SLX's as frong high's and wide's for fun just to see what it was like, I remember noticing the expansion of the highs the most, so I am thinking this might be fun to try and see what it's like. Tweets alone are pretty easy to hide when you don't have room for more speakers biggrin.gif

//Onkyo 608 - B&W LCR 60 S3 Center - B&W DM 602 S3 Fronts - TSC TSS & Phase Tech DST Surrounds - B&W ASW600 S3 Subwoofer//
120''+ Screen size club.

"At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?"
AudioCheck -...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-05-2013, 09:44 PM

Liked: 16
I'm currently upgrading. Slowly due to budget constraints. But right no I'm using wide dispersion surrounds from klipsch as my fronts. I a tuaply really like the sound. I'm in a small room and they've seemed to make the room feel bigger

Onkyo TXSR607, Mythos 8 Center, Studio Monitor 350's, Klipsch S-10 surrounds, Bic F12 sub

Epson Home Cinema 8100 Projector
post #3 of 7 Old 10-07-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else? I'm curious to see how Audyssey calibration handles just 3.5-32khz horn tweets for front high/wide. I'm assuming that it would still be more of a positive rather than a negative experience even though I'm missing the 1khz and under freqs for those channels.

//Onkyo 608 - B&W LCR 60 S3 Center - B&W DM 602 S3 Fronts - TSC TSS & Phase Tech DST Surrounds - B&W ASW600 S3 Subwoofer//
120''+ Screen size club.

"At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?"
AudioCheck -...
post #4 of 7 Old 10-07-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I am not, but you may have trouble getting the AVR to set the crossover properly; most do not go anywhere near that high. Just make sure the tweeters include a LPF. Audyssey may max out the lower frequencies trying to get something out of them, or may just fail cal if it cannot set distance, levels and such due to the test tones being below the tweeters' range.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Maybe Audyssey will EQ down to the minus three dB point in room and pass that point along to the receiver to allow the receiver's logic to choose a crossover. Presumably, in that case, the receiver would use it's highest crossover, somewhere like 200 Hz, and there'd be a multiple octave hole in the sound.

Alternatively, Audyssey MIGHT include logic that would tell it that a speaker with no response in the woofer frequency range is defective. Then it would report the speaker is defective and refuse to proceed (I think).

If a person happened to have speakers that can be biwired/biamped, he could experiment by removing the jumpers and attempting a calibration with only the tweeter of one or more speakers active. That should tell you what Audyssey would do . . .
post #6 of 7 Old 10-08-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Hmmm... Don't think I am interested enough to run the test, this sounds like a bad idea all around to me. And, whilst thinking about it, I just realized the one Audyssey AVR I have in the house is actually idle (sitting in a pile with the rest of the system unconnected and unused) so I am definitely too lazy to run it! smile.gif

The little Mirage Nanosats are also pretty easy to hide...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 7 Old 10-08-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

I was just looking at the mirage nanosats! lol Never knew they existed. I have the piezo horns hooked up right now. I haven't done the audyssey calibration as of yet. I'm only experimenting anyway smile.gif

And yes you are correct, highest crossover on the receiver is 200

Going to watch a movie and see what it does for it.

120''+ Screen size club.

AudioCheck -...
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page