Speaker placement for a 60" plasma on the wall. No center channel yet. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking of placing some monoprice in-wall speakers to the left and right of the TV in position 3 and 4. The logic being I can create a pretty good phantom center and if placed in those position I could add a center in the future. If I place them towards the middle of the TV in positions 1 and 2 then I can't increase the size of the TV in the future and I can't add a center without it looking kinda bad.

I can get the tweeter of the speakers pretty much in line with where the TV speakers are now (or within 3-4"). With the room set up the way it is, I can't spread the LR speakers any further out. There's a staircase to the left and a hall way to the right of those two windows.

Excuse the mess. Seating is actually about 15 feet away on a sectional.

Opinions welcome. Any reason not to stick with positions 3 and 4 other than the fact that they are low. I'm also thinking I'll never actually need a center with this set up. Trying to future proof the setup also and make it look good hence lining up the bottom of the speakers with the bottom of the window trim. There's about 7-8' between speakers OC.

tv_wall_zps0d11b251.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 AM

The narrow spread of the in wall speakers wouldn't seem to offer an improvement over a sound bar. A sound bar would kill all your birds with one stone: center channel, aesthetics, small form factor; plus the added benefit of surround sound emulation.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Soundbar is an interesting idea. Will have to look into that. From what I gathered previously was that good soundbars were expensive and they'd probably stick out a little bit from the wall (if it's in the 2-3" range, no big deal but any more than that and it become an issue). Good monoprice speakers are about $80 for a pair and I really don't mind the way my receiver does a phantom center. You're right though, it's a small spread.

Onto some soundbar research.