Is Dolby Atmos Coming To HT? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 160 Old 03-01-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 264
For all the talk about Dolby ATMOS or Auro 3D I've seen no mention of managing acoustics with all these speakers around, who's studying that for small room acoustic space, aka, our beloved HT's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 160 Old 03-01-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

For all the talk about Dolby ATMOS or Auro 3D I've seen no mention of managing acoustics with all these speakers around, who's studying that for small room acoustic space, aka, our beloved HT's?

As best I can tell, that's a completely separate issue. The object-oriented processing just decides which speakers should be used for a given sound source. Some different process will have to be used to match those speakers to the room's response. I wouldn't be a bit surprised, though, if the consumer versions of those products do come with some roomEQ functionality, perhaps similar to what Trinnov does.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #93 of 160 Old 03-01-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I'm implying acoustic treatments for the precedence effect, not EQ.

Via my iPhone 5s & Tapatalk, LLAP
post #94 of 160 Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looking at how atoms is implemented, it may not be as big of an issue as we may think. We are used to placing large speakers right against a wall, with atoms they put a ton of tiny speakers on trusswork suspended from the ceiling. However, due to the amount of additional speakers needed, I would guess that we would no longer need our rooms to be as lively anymore. In the end it will probably be as simple as treating nearly every surface instead of picking which ones to treat and leaving the rest able to reflect sound.
post #95 of 160 Old 03-01-2014, 07:05 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 765
I'm all for it as long as it is backward compatible.
post #96 of 160 Old 03-01-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

Looking at how atoms is implemented, it may not be as big of an issue as we may think. We are used to placing large speakers right against a wall, with atoms they put a ton of tiny speakers on trusswork suspended from the ceiling. However, due to the amount of additional speakers needed, I would guess that we would no longer need our rooms to be as lively anymore. In the end it will probably be as simple as treating nearly every surface instead of picking which ones to treat and leaving the rest able to reflect sound.

It's Atmos. wink.gif

Dolby Atmos processors have an auto EQ system called Lake. I don't see why a consumer version of these advanced calibration systems can't be added.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #97 of 160 Old 03-03-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Unless you have a dedicated home theater room, I'd be more interested on trying to get pass the WAF and explaining the speakers hanging off the ceiling.
post #98 of 160 Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

In-ceiling and in-wall speaker systems are readily available.

Selden

post #99 of 160 Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Yep yep all you need is a dedicated room and some cash. There will be much to come on Atmos I'm sure. From ultra high end to more budget friendly setups.
post #100 of 160 Old 03-31-2014, 09:55 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 365

This is what we need for HT

Dolby CP850 Front Panel 

Front Panel

A feature-rich, web-based interface makes configuration easy. Program macros ensure correct playback of a variety of source materials and allow remote monitoring of the CP850’s functional health.

Front Panel Controls

Master fader

Mute button

Power button

Eight macro buttons

LCD display with navigational buttons

Dolby CP850 Rear Panel 

Rear Panel

A complete set of inputs and outputs offers comprehensive connection capabilities for any theatre or configuration. For a complete list, see the Specifications tab.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/hardware/cinema/audio-processor/cp850.html

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/Dolby-Atmos-Next-Generation-Audio-for-Cinema.pdf

post #101 of 160 Old 03-31-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

Unless you have a dedicated home theater room, I'd be more interested on trying to get pass the WAF and explaining the speakers hanging off the ceiling.

You could put some of these in the ceiling drywall

http://stealthacoustics.com/products/invisible-speakers/

Put them everywhere!  You could have multichannel audio that is invisible!

post #102 of 160 Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View PostYou could put some of these in the ceiling drywall  http://stealthacoustics.com/products/invisible-speakers/ Put them everywhere!  You could have multichannel audio that is invisible!

These are cool to I just wonder if they sound any good?  http://stealthacoustics.com/products/image-series/

post #103 of 160 Old 03-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

^ My CI installs the invisible ones, they do a decent job for their invisibility.

post #104 of 160 Old 04-01-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Is Dolby Atmos coming to HT?

See the first two titles being shown at this industry demo last week:

https://www.editorsguild.com/Events.cfm?EventID=B90F3FFA-D5BF-08EB-5242BBD5C2E8AA4C&View=month&linkDate=3%2F1%2F2014

Were they remixed to Atmos for theatrical release or home video?

Sanjay
post #105 of 160 Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Is Dolby Atmos coming to HT?

See the first two titles being shown at this industry demo last week:

https://www.editorsguild.com/Events.cfm?EventID=B90F3FFA-D5BF-08EB-5242BBD5C2E8AA4C&View=month&linkDate=3%2F1%2F2014

Were they remixed to Atmos for theatrical release or home video?

I am hazarding a guess that these are to show the advantages of Atmos in general and how to do a sound mix with object oriented sound in mind. The idea would be the same for home or cinema. The home would just have a scaled down version of the cinema object mix, perhaps not having as many speakers that can be controlled by the consumer renderer.

As DTS did with their MDA format, I would assume Dolby will also show how Atmos object surround can be utilized in various speaker amounts and configurations. It's probably tit for tat.

SMPTE wants more of a combined force in regards to object audio and yet Dolby and DTS are both marking their territories and claiming theirs is the superior format.

Dolby also probably wanted to show how an older channel based mixed (with all the necessary stems available) could be re-imagined for object surround, giving the mix a fresh makeover and a more enveloping presence. When done correctly by engineers who know what they're doing, I would imagine the results could be remarkable. I'm all for these new object mixes, of course, as long as the original would be made available for purists.

post #106 of 160 Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I am hazarding a guess that these are to show the advantages of Atmos in general and how to do a sound mix with object oriented sound in mind.

Dolby also probably wanted to show how an older channel based mixed (with all the necessary stems available) could be re-imagined for object surround, giving the mix a fresh makeover and a more enveloping presence.
They could have demonstrated the advantages of Atmos using the two Dolby trailers they listed and clips from the two recent movies listed ('Life of Pi' and 'Gravity'). What struck me is them mentioning Atmos mixes of 'Chicago' and 'Die Hard'. I'm going to hazard a guess that a library of catalogue titles with Atmos re-mixes is being built up, but not for theatrical re-release.

Sanjay
post #107 of 160 Old 04-02-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They could have demonstrated the advantages of Atmos using the two Dolby trailers they listed and clips from the two recent movies listed ('Life of Pi' and 'Gravity'). What struck me is them mentioning Atmos mixes of 'Chicago' and 'Die Hard'. I'm going to hazard a guess that a library of catalogue titles with Atmos re-mixes is being built up, but not for theatrical re-release.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that a bunch of full catalog object remixes are underway. These are probably just demo clips in order to try and sell the industry as a whole on Atmos. If the experts are duly impressed, then you might see some studio investment in object remixes for the home in order to sell UHD media. They know pixel count alone isn't going to sell the public. Then there is the fact that most IP masters are still only 2k. Very few have a complete 4k workflow from beginning to end. They'll need to use other enticements, and a more amazing surround track as a bonus might help increase future sales.

One could assume that DTS will continue to do similar demos to advertise MDA.

post #108 of 160 Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

These are probably just demo clips in order to try and sell the industry as a whole on Atmos.
They described it as "select clips from the ATMOS mixes" of 'Die Hard' and 'Chicago', giving the impression that those catalogue titles were re-mixed, corroborated by...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

The recently re-release BD of Chicago has a new 7.1 that was made when they were doing the Atmos up mix.

Sanjay
post #109 of 160 Old 04-02-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I don't really see how Atmos would be beneficial for the home other than having an object based soundtrack for a one size fits all solution. The industry has not been that successful with getting a majority to 5.1 let alone 7.1 setups. The install base for more than 7.1 is probably far less than 1%.

post #110 of 160 Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

My guess is that hat 1% is who they're targeting, at least initially, and that they will have high licensing fees to match. My understanding is that Dolby traditionally has made its money by charging for its decoders. If they are targeting just the top 1%, that'd be a marketing strategy comparable to the current availability of Auro3D in DataSat's LS10.

Selden

post #111 of 160 Old 04-02-2014, 03:07 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

But we all want it :)

post #112 of 160 Old 04-02-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

I don't really see how Atmos would be beneficial for the home other than having an object based soundtrack for a one size fits all solution.
That might be enough of a benefit. Besides, if the movie industry is slowly moving to immersive audio with object-based soundtracks, then those decoders will eventually become as ubiquitous on consumer gear as Dolby Digital (which can be found on everything from the cheapest televisions to the most expensive pre-pros).

Mix once, and let the soundtrack scale itself to any speaker layout, whether a commercial theatre or a home soundbar. If it works as advertised, everyone will benefit.

Sanjay
post #113 of 160 Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They described it as "select clips from the ATMOS mixes" of 'Die Hard' and 'Chicago', giving the impression that those catalogue titles were re-mixed, corroborated by...

Well then, I guess I'll wait for Die Hard on UHD for the object mix and hopefully fully restored and remastered picture.

post #114 of 160 Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't really see how Atmos would be beneficial for the home other than having an object based soundtrack for a one size fits all solution. The industry has not been that successful with getting a majority to 5.1 let alone 7.1 setups. The install base for more than 7.1 is probably far less than 1%.

The manufacturers are already pushing 11.1 receivers and pre-amps, but at least this time the object soundtrack will be able to place discrete sounds in each speaker rather than some matrixed up-mix. I just hope they allow for a lot more speakers... if you want them.

post #115 of 160 Old 04-02-2014, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well then, I guess I'll wait for Die Hard on UHD for the object mix and hopefully fully restored and remastered picture.
You don't think they'll roll out Atmos mixes on Blu-ray as soon as there are object-aware AV receivers to decode them?

Sanjay
post #116 of 160 Old 04-03-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't think they'll roll out Atmos mixes on Blu-ray as soon as there are object-aware AV receivers to decode them?

Not regular Blu-ray, no. UHD, yes. But if they have DTS and Dolby object decoders in the products to buy in the near future, then one would have to assume that there will also be media with this capability. There would have been some sort of agreement that was reached and both object mixing software and media mastering and encoding software would have been widely distributed.

The manufacturers didn't add Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio with no promise that media would be released that used them and no encoders out in the field. Many of the BDA members are also consumer product manufacturers.

Unless there's some unforeseen shake up, I would also think that CES 2015 might be the place where some announcements are made. However, I'm not sure they're going to be ready for a Christmas 2015 launch with players, decoders, discs, etc. At the rate they're going, it'll be 2016. Blu-ray was test marketed in Japan a little bit before the worldwide debut and that hasn't happened with UHD discs yet. But then again we may not be privy to all the behind the scenes action and they may be more ready to go than we thought.

post #117 of 160 Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm only 7.1 as I got the extra two speakers free in a Christmas special when I bought the 5.1.

7.1 requires discreet looking speakers or a dedicated theater room else you get yelled at for lack of WAF.

I would not have bothered otherwise.  The amount of true 7.1 content is minimal (compared to the population of BluRay)

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=159814

Note that many of these on the list are duplicates and triplicates due to the disk being released in Walmart and Target formats etc.

This list interestingly has ATMOS in bold.  The content available for that is currently even more limited (just counted 82 titles), but hey, gotta start somewhere.

Also this requires a whole system overhaul.  If I've got a http://www.kaleidescape.com/products/ or similar then dropping another $4+k to replace that as well as everything else is putting up a huge barrier to entry.

post #118 of 160 Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post

I'm only 7.1 as I got the extra two speakers free in a Christmas special when I bought the 5.1.

7.1 requires discreet looking speakers or a dedicated theater room else you get yelled at for lack of WAF.

I would not have bothered otherwise.  The amount of true 7.1 content is minimal (compared to the population of BluRay)
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=159814
Note that many of these on the list are duplicates and triplicates due to the disk being released in Walmart and Target formats etc.

This list interestingly has ATMOS in bold.  The content available for that is currently even more limited, but hey, gotta start somewhere.

One thing in Atmos' favor is the amount of mixes at the early stage of the format vs. Dolby Digital when it was first introduced to cinemas. With Dolby and DTS pushing for object mixing, I'd say you'll see more object soundtracks on UHD media than what you first saw with 7.1 discrete on Blu-ray.

post #119 of 160 Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Good lord we have a lot of the same thread around here.

tongue.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #120 of 160 Old 04-03-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post

The amount of true 7.1 content is minimal (compared to the population of BluRay)
Has nothing to do with the number of speakers used for playback. Fosgate started selling consumer 7.1 pre-pros in 1986, Lexicon came out with their first 7.1 pre-pro in 1988. Discrete 7.1 soundtracks wouldn't show up until 2006. What were owners of Fosgate and Lexicon pre-pros doing for those two decades years until 7.1 content was available?

Sanjay
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page