Recommend me an SPL meter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-20-2013, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I already have one that has worked well enough, but I am looking for something more robust. My current meter maxes out at 130dB; I'd like something that went as high as perhaps 160dB

I need a meter that measures both A and C weighting.

130db1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-22-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Sounds like you meant to post in Car Audio.

The old B&K's went up that high. 160dB is one acoustical watt per square centimeter (free field, not pressure chamber), if I recall. One usually only sees that inside crank-it-up cars, or compression-driver throats. The air itself is quite nonlinear (especially at higher frequencies) at these levels.
Glen B likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-22-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post

I already have one that has worked well enough, but I am looking for something more robust. My current meter maxes out at 130dB; I'd like something that went as high as perhaps 160dB

I need a meter that measures both A and C weighting.

130db1.jpg

You do understand that selling a SPL meter that goes much beyond 130 dB SPL would be risking malpractice, because using it by holding it in a sound field can involve serious injury to the operator?

130 dB corresponds to the threshold of pain, according to many references. 140 dB can cause injury.
Glen B likes this.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I thought 120 dB was ToP?

Most mics do not reach 160 dB... My earthworks M30 is rated to 142 dB and that is a fairly high-end measurement mic.

There's an iPhone app that claims 160 dB. A number of meters on the Davis website reach 140 dB.

As Arny said it is unlikely you'll find any sort of hand-held meter with that range. The ones I have seen that reach >140 dB typically use special mics and wire to a DMM or test instrument. They also cost thousands of dollars.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 5 Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

Sounds like you meant to post in Car Audio.

My post has nothing to do with Car Audio, so I'm pretty sure I didn't mean to post there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

You do understand that selling a SPL meter that goes much beyond 130 dB SPL would be risking malpractice, because using it by holding it in a sound field can involve serious injury to the operator?

130 dB corresponds to the threshold of pain, according to many references. 140 dB can cause injury.

That isn't necessarily the case. One of the reasons I specified that I needed a meter that can measure both A and C weighting is because I typically measure using C weighting. The main difference being that C is much more sensitive to bass, whereas A tries to measure along a curve that is approximate to the most sensitive areas of human hearing. Most safety guidelines, etc are given using A weighting.

Human Hearing:

130dBA at ~4000hz, which is about the most sensitive frequency of human hearing, would result in almost instant hearing loss.

130dBC at ~50hz would be quite different. Measured using A weighting, you'd measure maybe 100dBA. Also, the human ear can sustain much higher SPL levels in the low frequencies compared to the speech frequencies before damage occurs.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page