7.1, is it a waste with in ceiling Surrounds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I need some help folks. I have Polk RTIA3's and CSiA6 for front left/Center/Right.  The wife now says no more speakers unless they are hidden so I am left with doing in-ceiling speakers for Right/Left surrounds and I am debating if I should even add the Left/Right Rears for 7.1 at all anymore. 

Should I just do 5.1 with in-ceiling surrounds and call it a day or plan for the additional 2 rears?  Attaching a layout of the room, the Red circles are possible locations for the speakers. Also I would be using Polk speakers (not sure which ones yet, suggestions appreciated) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

After giving it some thought, and If the Wife would agree, would it be better to do some in wall speakers positioned on the side walls of the couch and then do the ceiling speakers as rear 7.1? I am beginning to wonder if 7.1 is even worth it at all. 

post #3 of 10 Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeauxdn View Post

I am beginning to wonder if 7.1 is even worth it at all.
Depends on how far your seating is from the rear speakers. If they are going to be practically above you, then it's not worth it, since you won't get meaningful separation between the rear and side speakers. If they will be several feet behind your seating, then it is worth doing, because you'll be able to hear side-vs-rear separation in the surround field.

Sanjay
post #4 of 10 Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

If I was to do the rear ceilings as indicated in the first picture, they would be about 40 inches behind the couch. Do you think thats enough separation to be be of any value? I am of the opinion that it may be too close.  

post #5 of 10 Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 569
I agree, that's a bit close to get good separation. Unless you're willing to move the seating a couple feet forward, I would stick to a 5.1 layout (in-ceiling speakers in the back corners of the room).

Sanjay
post #6 of 10 Old 10-21-2013, 05:18 PM

Will she notlike mounted speakers? granted you still see them, but if you're going to go through the effort, is say get something directional to optimize listening. In wall speakers are pretty expensive for what they are, and I've yet to hear any that knock my socks off.

I have the cherry rti a3s as well, and love em!

Edit:

I might get told I'm wrong, but 40in behind the couch should be enough, but I'd move the surrounds forward some to get better separation. I had a similar issue at my last house, and I could hear the rears just fine, even though most of my input videos were 5.1. My receiver would matrix then up to 7.1, and it was badass, especially on the Star Trek reboot, and games like GTA.

~
post #7 of 10 Old 10-27-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

How far back in the corners should the surrounds go? I was thinking of running them a few feet to the rear and on the  left/right of the couch. Would it be better to place them as far to the rear  corners of the room as possible?  I also went with the Polk 70-RT.  They come in Tuesday, Can't wait! 

post #8 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 AM

Liked: 11
Do 7.1 with in-ceiling HEIGHT channels, up front. The positioning is not as crucial with heights.

"MMMM,Snout!"---Homer Simpson
post #9 of 10 Old 10-29-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Would anyone care to give input on how far back the surrounds should go?

post #10 of 10 Old 10-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeauxdn View Post

Would anyone care to give input on how far back the surrounds should go?

From my experience the surrounds should go directly to the sides (at 90 degrees) and with the the back speakers it depends on how much room you have behind you. Back speakers that are further away can be separated more (like the Dolby suggested setup). But if they are not far enough away (like mine that are only a couple of feet behind) I like the way they sounded when putting them closer together (like the THX suggested setup).

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide//index.html
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

All 4 of my rear speakers are in-wall and I am very happy with the surround effect that I get with them. Don't think that all in-wall speakers are created equal - if you get some with a "back box" or built-in speaker enclosure so that the sound doesn't bounce around inside the walls / ceiling they can sound very good.

My surrounds are in the ceiling at 90 degrees about 5 feet to each side and the rears are in wall above the listening position only a couple of feet apart. I had to make compromises like you, but I experimented with placement before cutting holes and I am happy with the result. I chose bipole speakers to spread the sound but I have no way of knowing how much difference that made.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page