Entry Level DACs - A quick question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi gang, a very quick question for you. I searched around but couldn't find a direct comparison between these two products.

In your opinion, would I notice a difference in sound quality going from using a Creative X-FI external soundcard / DAC

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382490683&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+x-fi+external

to a Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic-Digital--Converter/dp/B0078Q35PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382490765&sr=8-1&keywords=cambridge+audio+dacmagic

?

Thanks for the input. I have the X-FI; just wondering if upgrading would make a difference in passing two channel analog audio to a mid level (~ $500) receiver or integrated amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavendish View Post

I have the X-FI; just wondering if upgrading would make a difference in passing two channel analog audio to a mid level (~ $500) receiver or integrated amp.
No.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I know nothing about the Creative, which could conceivably be the exception to the rule, but in general there is nothing to be gained by upgrading a DAC. Even the cheapest today are so good that audible improvement is pretty much impossible. Spend your money somewhere else.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Cavendish,

I actually like the feature-set of the X-Fi much better than the Cambridge. Specifically, the volume control, the IR remote-control, THX and Dolby-Digital Live. The Cambridge is pretty feature-poor, and the resulting analog audio won't be any better either. I also tend to prefer the X-Fi's price.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Alright, thanks for the feedback everyone! Looks Like I'll probably focus on upgrades elsewhere then.

MarkHotchkiss, I completely agree with you that the X-Fi has a better feature set (and price). I've been using it for a few years, so it may be the previous generation model, but it's been a solid performer. I was just curious if better sound would come from the Cambridge unit, in which case I might be willing to downgrade in features for better sounding audio. But it looks to be a moot point.

Thanks again!