Help with Speaker Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-26-2013, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I am having a 7.1 surround set up. However, the back surrounds are giving me a little issue. I'm fairly limited to where I can place them. My only two options are having the speakers 18 1/4" apart or 29 1/4". Will this difference matter?

The 29 1/4" apart option puts the tweeters slightly more in line with the main seating head positions. But would require me overlapping a face plate on a light switch and an outlet.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-26-2013, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

post #3 of 10 Old 10-26-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Seems like they are too close together on your back wall.
What type of speaker are they?
Monopole, bipole, dipole?

Possible you should use just 1 for a 6.1 setup.

Also, you posted then wanted reply within 20 minutes......patience.

Via my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was closer to an hour but I just needed some advice from you guys sorry. I ended up flipping the speakers so they lay horizontal but the tweeters are on the opposite ends and directly in line with each persons listening position in the main seating area.

Hopefully having them horizontal isn't a bad thing. They are Infinity OWS-1's.

post #5 of 10 Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

It was closer to an hour but I just needed some advice from you guys sorry. I ended up flipping the speakers so they lay horizontal but the tweeters are on the opposite ends and directly in line with each persons listening position in the main seating area.

Hopefully having them horizontal isn't a bad thing. They are Infinity OWS-1's.

actually it is, as your woofer/tweeter and it's crossover is designed with certain polar dispersion characteristics - both up/down and side-side, and by random flippin them you are defeating the speaker designer intent.....
Hence everyone also says for a center channel you NEVER flip a RH/LH main onto it's side......

post #6 of 10 Old 10-26-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What are the repercussions of a horizontal setup as far as sound to my ears is concerned? Will it sound muffled, unlocalized, etc?

Also, I noticed you're in SE MI. I lived in Adrian for quite a while

post #7 of 10 Old 10-26-2013, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can Inceiling be used here as rear two?
post #8 of 10 Old 10-26-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are the repercussions of a horizontal setup as far as sound to my ears is concerned? Will it sound muffled, unlocalized, etc?

Also, I noticed you're in SE MI. I lived in Adrian for quite a while

Imagine this; you mids/hi freq are being dispersed in a designed pattern, sprayed out mostly side-side, and as you go up/down it tapers off.
s

so, when you turn your speakers sideways, you are having a central "hot" area directly forward of the speaker - on center....and inducing un-wanted reflections also off the ceiling/floor.....

So, with that image what do you think would happen as you move side-side off center of the speaker that is now sideways?
(if I tell you then you are not learning....)

post #9 of 10 Old 10-26-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Based on that image and your description, it would seem that there could potentially be some "dead spots" to the left and right of the speaker.

post #10 of 10 Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

...there could potentially be some "dead spots" to the left and right of the speaker.
That's well said. But also, the dead spots are only at certain frequencies - so instead of being quiet sounding, they are manifest as frequency-response anomalies - weird dips at some frequencies. And they're not just likely, they're virtually guaranteed.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page