DTS-HD MA (Core only) verus DTS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-26-2013, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's a shed load of these threads I know but I have quite a specific question that doesn't seem to be covered in most of them.

I only play my rips on the PC with no further audio decoders so I cannot play lossless DTS-HD MA. I can only play the Core audio.

Is the core of DTS-HD-MA exactly the same as regular DTS audio or is it better. I thought the core alone was DTS-HD rather than just DTS but I've read different.

A lot of people online don't know wtf they are on about, it's very frustrating trying to find facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-26-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Jeproject,

The whole family of DTS codecs is layered. The bottom layer, plain vanilla DTS, is what is refered to as "core" DTS. Other layers of data are then added to augment the core and create enhanced versions. DTS-HD-MA has multiple layers on top of the core.

A good description of the different flavors of DTS can be found on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_%28sound_system%29
jeproject likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-26-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 247
The core of a DTS-HD MA track is a standard DTS track. Its purpose is to allow players without DTS-HD MA decoders to still be able to play the audio, as DTS-HD MA is not a mandatory Blu-ray audio codec. On players that support DTS-HD MA, the core combines with the residual to reconstruct the original lossless audio. Unless you have a DTS-HD MA decoder, you can only play the lossy core, not that the audio quality necessarily improves by listening to the lossless version of the soundtrack.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-26-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks but Wikipedia was the first place I looked. It does state that the first part of the DTS-HD-MA setup is actually DTS-HD which hints that the core is in fact an updated version of the codec and not the original DTS codec.

This was my confusion though I've now just decided that no one would use the original DTS codec on a Bluray disc and all the DTS audio tracks that are not DTS-HD-MA are probably DTS-HD.

"DTS-HD High Resolution Audio is selected as an optional surround sound format for Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD,"
post #5 of 6 Old 10-26-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 247
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio is different from, but complementary to, DTS-HD MA. Both contain a DTS core for backwards compatibility, but DTS-HD High Resolution Audio only adds 96/24 lossy capabilities to the original DTS format. DTS-HD MA adds lossless capabilities to the original DTS format. You wouldn't find both on the same disc, as DTS-HD HRA is only for instances where there isn't enough space for DTS-HD MA.

Blu-ray players are required to be able to decode DTS, but they are not required to be able to decode DTS-HD HRA or DTS-HD MA. Most do anyway, of course. As such, DTS-HD HRA cannot be used as the core of a DTS-HD MA track, because it isn't a mandatory codec (and is meant as a space-conscious alternative to DTS-HD MA).
jeproject likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-26-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks that's a great explanation that leaves me with no more questions.

Cheers.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page