Metal and Glass Bad for Sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
considering buying some bluray storage racks from canam, but they are metal. It seems to me this would have a negative effect in the room for sound. Is this true. What about Glass shelves?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

considering buying some bluray storage racks from canam, but they are metal. It seems to me this would have a negative effect in the room for sound. Is this true. What about Glass shelves?

Depending on the design of the racks they might add some acoustical diffusion which is usually a good thing.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-28-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

It depends on what you are trying to "do" with your system.

If you are trying to have it accurately reproduce sound-then you should be in a room that is free of reflections (including walls-ceiling-large objects etc.) if you want ot hear the music as it was recorded.

However if you are wanting a particular "experience" that is not in the music-then it could be anything-fro pointing speakers at walls to make the sound "bounce around" or whatever. But it is not faithful to the original recording at that point.

I would hope that the equipment shelves would be out of the main pattern of the speakers enough that it would cause minimal effect.

But if you already have the rest of your room done properly (ie in the first reflection path), then yes any hard surface will cause reflections.

The extent depends on the location-pattern control of your speakers and so forth.

Some people like the sound to bounce around (Bose made a fortune on that one) and others like accurate sound reproduction. You can't have both-with the same system.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #4 of 6 Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Where you put the shelves is far more important than what they're made of. Obviously you don't want shelves that rattle and buzz when bassy music plays loudly. But that's a function of how well they're built. The more important point is to put shelves along the side walls behind where you listen, or at least out of the way of direct reflections because that's where absorber panels should go.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #5 of 6 Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
It would be under the screen, not in any direct path of any speakers and this model:

http://www.can-am.ca/CD-cabinet-DVD-cabinet.htm

I don't have any acoustical treatments in the room other than carpet and furniture. I may plan to add some down the road but my room is a smaller room so it might be tricky at 10'9" x 16'5".

I was planning on covering the top of the drawer with black velvet to reduce reflections from the screen.

post #6 of 6 Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

I don't have any acoustical treatments in the room other than carpet and furniture. I may plan to add some down the road but my room is a smaller room so it might be tricky at 10'9" x 16'5". I was planning on covering the top of the drawer with black velvet to reduce reflections from the screen.

The smaller the room, the more you'll benefit from bass traps and other treatment. You don't need a lot to make a big improvement! And velvet will hardly do anything useful. This short article is mainly about home recording, but all the same principles apply to hi-fi and home theater too:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page