Questions about conencting mp3 player to stereo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully these questions are easy to answer:

1) Is it better to adjust the volume on the mp3 player or the stereo itself?

2) Is it normal to have to turn the volume up to 66% on my mp3 player when I connect it to my stereo system? Because I find it very quiet if I go below that level.

3) If I turn the volume up more, will it cause distortion? A friend of mine said that he turns his mp3 up to 100% and it doesn't cause any, but I've read different things online... a lot of people seem to recommend setting it to 50%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 300
volume controls on mp3 players are not calibrated so 50% on one player may be 80% on another
no rule there start out at 50% and try different settings . a better connection would be a digital output and external DAC or AVR dac

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #3 of 3 Old 11-13-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallel01 View Post

Hopefully these questions are easy to answer:

1) Is it better to adjust the volume on the mp3 player or the stereo itself?

Usually, it is best to run a player's output at the highest reasonble level that does not cause clipping or inconvenience further on down the audio chain.
Quote:
2) Is it normal to have to turn the volume up to 66% on my mp3 player when I connect it to my stereo system? Because I find it very quiet if I go below that level.

+1 to tubetwister's comment that players don't use standardized markings on their controls and 66% can mean all sorts of different things.
Quote:
3) If I turn the volume up more, will it cause distortion?

Probably not, but again YMMV.
Quote:
A friend of mine said that he turns his mp3 up to 100% and it doesn't cause any,

My porable MP3 players work that way, as well. They are a Sansa Clip and a Sansa Fuze.
Quote:
but I've read different things online...

Online sources vary at least as much as MP3 player volume settings! Someone online has probably told every truth and someone else has told every false claim, and someone a mixture of the two about any issue in audio.
Quote:
a lot of people seem to recommend setting it to 50%.

I marvel at all these people who can hear differences between DACs and amplifiers which is difficult or impossible but don't seem to be able to tell when they hear something obvious like when they have turned something up to the poiint where it is generating gross distortion! ;-)
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page