TV through DAC to self powered monitors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i currently have my bar tv setup with just a coaxial digital audio out to a Fiio D3 (http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Converter-Optical-TOSLink-Coaxial/dp/B00BVT4M30/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383769705&sr=1-7&keywords=coaxial+dac), to just a set of Logitech z623's i had around when we moved. I'm now looking at upgrading to speakers and i'm really leaning towards the M-audio M3-8's as I've read they sound amazing for the price, and since they are self powered i don't need to worry about recievers/amps/etc. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/922786-REG/m_audio_m3eightx110_m3_8_3_way_amplified.html)

I will also be playing music through the speakers from phones/laptops and such with just 3.5mm output.

So my question is, should i upgrade the DAC i'm using? such as the slightly more expensive because it can handle 5.1 Orei DA34: http://www.amazon.com/Orei-DA34X-Premium-5-1-Channel-Headphone/dp/B00F4ORUDM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

or even more expensive like the Musical Fidelity V90-DAC? http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Fidelity-V90-DAC-High-Quality-Converter/dp/B00DNZMZTI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Does it make a difference?

If i had to get the V90, wouldn't it just be cheaper/easier to get a reciever and then non-powered bookshelf speakers?

Any input/suggestions/advice would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

I was told that the audio engine D1 would be a good option. but that only had optical digital in. my tv will only output coaxial.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Douchebacca,

The DAC that you already have would work fine with M3's, so I would forgo the extra expense and stick with that.

You did not say whether you have issues when you tune in a TV station that broadcasts in Dolby-Digital. If your TV is down-converting DD5.1 to stereo PCM to send to your DAC, then you should stick with the DAC you have. But if your TV is like mine and won't down-convert to stereo, therefore leaving you without audio on DD5.1 TV stations, then the Orei DA34X would be called for to down-convert DD5.1 to stereo for you.

I see no place for the Musical Fidelity DAC. It offers nothing that you don't already have. Likewise with the D1.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response!

I've had no issues with any HD channels (which i believe usually always output 5.1?) not producing sound, so the TV must be taking care of that. I'll remember that if i do end up with problems to get the Orei.

I just couldn't find any straight answers if there were differences in quality of DAC's.

Thanks for the input!
post #5 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Douchebacca,

You're Welcome, and welcome to the forum, by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douchebacca View Post

I just couldn't find any straight answers if there were differences in quality of DAC's.
There were audible differences in the prior millennium, but the DAC integrated circuits have progressed to the point where it is a challenge to measure the differences, let alone hear them.

But there are plenty of people who will tell you otherwise, mostly those with vested interests.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Agreed - a "high end" DAC isn't going to make a difference if your current DAC already has all the features and decoding that you need. Some "high end" DACs have more features like a volume control or even a remote - I'm not sure how you are controlling the volume of this setup, but if it works for you then stick with the gear that you have.

For future reference, if you ever get a new TV make sure it has analog "Variable Audio Out" - you just connect your powered speakers directly to the TV and use the TV's remote control volume - I like this feature so I always make sure I choose TVs that have it.

I have two different models of M-Audio powered speakers connected to PCs and yes, they are very good speakers especially if you are looking for the simplicity of powered speakers with a 3.5mm input jack on the front - you can't beat them. I agree, if you need a 5.1 DAC and an amplifier then it is easier to just get an AVR which also comes with a remote control volume.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #7 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

LOL...whoa......your right. how am i going to control the volume on this setup. currently the logitechs have volume control...so i turn the tv volume all the way down and use that. but now, nothing will have volume control.

Is there a cheap way to introduce volume control into this? i'd like to keep my budget still into the speakers.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

There is volume on the M3-8's, but behind the speakers, which would just be a a pretty big pain in the ass to get to all the time for sure.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Douchebacca,

You're Welcome, and welcome to the forum, by the way.

There were audible differences in the prior millennium, but the DAC integrated circuits have progressed to the point where it is a challenge to measure the differences, let alone hear them.

But there are plenty of people who will tell you otherwise, mostly those with vested interests.

Thanks! . and Thanks! lol.

feel like i should have just joined these forums and posted here instead of a week trolling the entire internet.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Would something like this work?
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-RLC-Remote-Level-Control/dp/B002EEP3WA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383778818&sr=8-3&keywords=remote+level+control

I just set the volume on the m3-8's to what i would want my max volume to me, and then have this wired to somewhere acceessible and use this for general volme control.

not pretty, but this is all behind a bar so it doesn't have to be that pretty. would be nice if they had something like that with a remote control though.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douchebacca View Post

Would something like this work? I just set the volume on the m3-8's to what i would want my max volume to me, and then have this wired to somewhere acceessible and use this for general volme control. not pretty, but this is all behind a bar so it doesn't have to be that pretty. would be nice if they had something like that with a remote control though.

Yes, I used something like that to control the output of a powered sub once and it worked fine - and since it is passive it probably won't introduce any noise into the system. You could also look for a used preamp with a remote on eBay - I bought my AMC 2 channel preamp (that I don't use any longer) on eBay for about $100. The really nice solution would be the tiny Parasound ZPre preamp (I have one of these at work with their 45 watt / ch ZAmp and they are amazing) - sometimes available on eBay for a decent price if used. Very small - it would fit on top of one of your speakers and you could even use the input switching to switch to a tuner or CD player for music.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page