Phono Turntable Power - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am in the process of upgrading my (very) old stereo / home theater system with new TV, receiver, speakers, etc. One item that must remain is the turntable, but the new receiver no longer provides switched power for the turntable. And, of course, there is now a second power supply requirement for the pre-amp which was built into my current receiver.

Is there a nice "packaged" solution for providing switched AC power to a turntable and pre-amp? Do folks just leave theirs "always on", or simply use a dedicated power strip with switch?

Thanks,

Rick Brodzinsky

Rick Brodzinsky

SF Bay Area - OTA & Xfinity

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrodzinsky View Post

I am in the process of upgrading my (very) old stereo / home theater system with new TV, receiver, speakers, etc. One item that must remain is the turntable, but the new receiver no longer provides switched power for the turntable. And, of course, there is now a second power supply requirement for the pre-amp which was built into my current receiver.

Is there a nice "packaged" solution for providing switched AC power to a turntable and pre-amp? Do folks just leave theirs "always on", or simply use a dedicated power strip with switch?

Stand alone phono preamps draw very little power, usually only 1-3 watts. They run for 15-40 days before they use 1 KWH or about $0.15 worth of power. They produce very little heat and they can run for years without fail if left turned on. You can find power strips that will sense current being drawn by the AVR being turned on and control the preamp. But in this application they seem like a waste of time and money.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Smart Strip: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Protector-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B0006PUDQK

There are many other models. It will do what you want, as Arny sez you'l have to decide if it is worth it.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks -- sounds like "always on" might be the simplest solution. I may still try to find a small switched strip, inexpensive, that will be usable and fit in required space, but won't drive myself crazy over it.

The most complicated issue in this whole upgrade scheme is not any of the components, but the new furniture!

Rick Brodzinsky

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #5 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:

Thanks -- sounds like "always on" might be the simplest solution. I may still try to find a small switched strip, inexpensive, that will be usable and fit in required space, but won't drive myself crazy over it.

The most complicated issue in this whole upgrade scheme is not any of the components, but the new furniture!

I'm sitting here waiting for a phone call, so I figured out the pay-back on that smart power strip. It's 8 to 24 years based on the assumptions in my other post...
post #6 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I'm sitting here waiting for a phone call, so I figured out the pay-back on that smart power strip. It's 8 to 24 years based on the assumptions in my other post...

But how many trees did it save? rolleyes.gif

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #7 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
My turntable has an on/off switch, and since I have to put a record on and cue the tone arm anyways, what's the big deal with turning the power to the table on? What tt do you have that's always on just because it's plugged in to an outlet? OTOH, I do miss having a few outlets built into the receivers I have (my preamp does have both switched and unswitched outlets built in, though switched or not makes no difference to use of the turntable). FWIW I just bought an ART phono box which has a usb connection if you want to digitize your vinyl recordings but has phono preamp capabilities as well (which I don't need otherwise as my preamp and avr both have the phono preamp built in). I don't plan on leaving it on as it has a power button and that will be right next to the tt.... smile.gif

post #8 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

My tt is a Pioneer PL-7. Not the best ever made, but still runs perfectly. No on/off switch, though it does have a start/stop to control the motor itself.

I had been looking at small power strips (3 or 4 outlet) with switch, but those are built with the switch at the end with power cord, and for my purposes and aesthetics, would be nicer if the switch was at the other end.

No, not looking just for something to copy the albums to new medium, but to preserve having a phonograph as part of my system.

Rick Brodzinsky

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #9 of 9 Old 11-08-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:

My tt is a Pioneer PL-7. Not the best ever made, but still runs perfectly. No on/off switch, though it does have a start/stop to control the motor itself.

I had been looking at small power strips (3 or 4 outlet) with switch, but those are built with the switch at the end with power cord, and for my purposes and aesthetics, would be nicer if the switch was at the other end.

No, not looking just for something to copy the albums to new medium, but to preserve having a phonograph as part of my system.

The motor is the on/off item; the signal created by the groove/needle interface is something else so I wouldn't worry about having the unit itself plugged in. At least would think it's unlike other devices you plug in and are on "standby" regardless of use.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page