Dedicated Sound Card vs Onboard Sound with External Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Question - which of the follow to options is a better gaming/music/movie/audio editing solution using the Sennheiser HD650 headphones?

• A combination of Asus Maximus VI Gene motherboard's SupremeFX with an external Amplifier

OR

• A dedicated sound card with a built in amplifier (i.e Creative Labs ZXR, Xonar Essence STX etc)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-11-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray0071 View Post

Question - which of the follow to options is a better gaming/music/movie/audio editing solution using the Sennheiser HD650 headphones?
  • A combination of Asus Maximus VI Gene motherboard's SupremeFX with an external Amplifier

OR
  • A dedicated sound card with a built in amplifier (i.e Creative Labs ZXR, Xonar Essence STX etc)

The answer to your question is in research that you should be able to do as well as I. Here's the question to research:

Does the headphone output of the Asus Maximus VI Gene have a unexpectedly poor source impedance and low output voltage? If not, even the external headphone amp is unnecessary.

I have a Asus Xonar DX sound card in this M5A97 8 core based PC to overcome a failed onboard audio system, and it really rocks! Asus seems to understand driving headphones, particularly on products that are specified to be exceptional for that purpose. That would seem to include a gaming or multimedia computer.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page