Speaker placement in my apartment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-10-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone.  First post here.

I have a small one bedroom apt in NYC, 20-some floors up with a nice view. Here are some pics to get a feel for the room:  http://imgur.com/a/eBwPV  Floorplan:  http://imgur.com/rob2xtr

I really like having the TV in the corner like that so that the couch can face the windows and so that the TV is viewable from pretty much anywhere in the room.  I can sneak a peak of it from the bathroom too.

But I'm wondering about my sound.  I'd like to achieve the following, in order of priority:

1) Watch TV / movie from my couch

2) Watch TV from my desk

3) Listen to music from my desk and anywhere in the room (party mode)

4) Possibly install a projector and have it project to the main window (the one with AC unit in front), and set up chairs everywhere in the room.

About my set-up:  I split the HDMI cable going to my second pc monitor and wired that to my receiver.  I wired my cable box to my receiver as well.  So I just switch the receiver input to toggle between cable and my computer.

Currently the speaker placement is good for 1+2, but they are too close together to get any real stereo effect.  I'm ok with that, and there isn't really an alternative.  For 3+4 the sound appears to be coming from the corner of the room rather than filling the room a bit more as I'd like.  It's still ok.

I thought of mounting the speakers to the right and left of the main window, about 2 feet down from the ceiling.  This is perfect for 3+4, but for 1+2 it might be awful.  I'm wondering how awkward will it sound having the TV be below the right speaker, and sitting closer to the left one?

Can get a soundbar for the TV, and mount the speakers up high?  Are there receivers that let me toggle audio output?

Thank you for your thoughts,

- Random Guy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
If sound quality matters most, you'll do well to set up your speakers and seating as described in this short article:

How To Set Up A Room

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thank you for the reference.  Unfortunately my display is in a corner.  I was hoping for advice to work around this.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-12-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
A corner can work, but you still should follow the rest of the advice, such as having all speakers at a height that puts the tweeters at ear level. In your case the speakers by the TV are way too low, and too close together. Again, if you care about sound more than appearance, you should raise those speakers on stands and spread them apart a bit. Yes, that will cover the windows some, but it will sound a lot better.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I would totally re-arrange that room. smile.gif

Put the TV on the wall where your couch currently is with the couch directly across, facing the TV. Put your computer desk on the blue wall where that tiny table that seems to serve no purpose is, and hang those speakers at ear level on each side of the TV.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page