2.1 to 5.1 Home theater/entertainment room setup help PLEASE! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 11-11-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

OK time to setup my surround sound. First I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 146 that I have never really used. Second a pair of Bose 301 Series IV, Im not sure how good these speakers are I bought these used a couple years ago they still work well but the center of the cone is pushed in a little but not broken at all. Next I have a Bose VCS 10 center speaker which is also old but works well. I also have a pair of Kenwood RS-620-B L.  For my bass I have a barely used Sony SA-WM500 sub and also a Panasonic sub from a HTiB I was thinking of maybe using both.  I just got a pair of Polk audio 75T speakers as presents from my darling wife.

So that is what I've got besides some of the Panasonic Sats from the HTiB that I figure I wont use. I will be connecting my receiver to a Samsung 55 inch LCD a laptop which all my movies are from and an Xbox 360.  PLease let me know what I should do.

Thank you in advance

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Bump for some advice please.  Also is this in the right sub-forum?

Thanks

Tom

post #3 of 23 Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 896
For the front L/R speakers, I would use the Polk towers. For the surrounds, use either the Bose or Kenwood speakers (whichever sounds better to you).

The centre channel is the most important channel in a soundtrack. With that in mind, DON'T use the Bose centre speaker. Instead, bite the bullet and get the Polk centre speaker that matches your L/R speakers. That will keep sounds consistent as they move across your front soundstage.

Your subs aren't very powerful, so stick them in corners to maximize output.

Sanjay
post #4 of 23 Old 11-11-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

What is wrong with my Bose VCS 10?

post #5 of 23 Old 11-11-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Won't sound anything like the Polk speakers on either side of it, not to mention that those tiny 2.5-inch drivers don't get down to the crossover point on your subwoofer.

Sanjay
post #6 of 23 Old 11-12-2013, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

So the Polks will get down to the crossover point of my sub???  Sorry not sure what that means exactly. And is the Bose VCS10 trash?  Used they are going for almost as much as the Polk CS2 is new.  Why?

post #7 of 23 Old 11-12-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNOOOOOB View Post

So the Polks will get down to the crossover point of my sub???  Sorry not sure what that means exactly.
Your Polks can get down into the bass range so that there is a seamless transition to your subwoofers. Bose speakers with those 2.5-inch drivers have been measured to only go down to the midrange, leaving a gap between the speakers and subwoofers.
Quote:

And is the Bose VCS10 trash?  Used they are going for almost as much as the Polk CS2 is new.  Why?
Same reason why certain brands of cable sell for thousands of dollars.

Look, if you are determined to use your Bose centre speaker, then I can't stop you. Just understand how inconsistent your front soundstage will sound (when a sound moves from your Polk towers to your Bose centre, it will sound different).

Sanjay
post #8 of 23 Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

No I am not determined to use the Bose in any way, I am just trying to figure all of this speaker stuff out.  So the only reason the Bose VCS 10 is going for $100+ used  is because its a Bose? Or is it actually a good speaker just not matched to my Polks? 

Thanks

Tom

post #9 of 23 Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's a poor speaker design AND it doesn't match your L/R speakers. But if you like how it sounds, then use it.

Sanjay
post #10 of 23 Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ok still trying to get everything set up right what would be a good center for my setup? I have tried using the bose because I could not afford another speaker purchase at that time but I am ready to pick something up. Also how should I place the center when I get it?

thanks

post #11 of 23 Old 03-19-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Bump for some good advice

post #12 of 23 Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

bump Anyone?

post #13 of 23 Old 03-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 75
How far will you be sitting from the center channel?

Re&Re
post #14 of 23 Old 03-22-2014, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

around 8 ft

post #15 of 23 Old 03-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

You have a good mix of speakers to choose from.
If I was in the same position I would try each pair as the left and right first noting each pairs strengths and weaknesses.
The pair I liked to listen to the most would stay as the stereo pair. It is possible to get good results with only 2 speakers but I'd still recommend using a center channel. Use the next best speaker in this position if it will fit where it needs to go. The advice already given to get a third matching center was good advise but will need to fit your room/stand.
You'll have lots to choose from for your surrounds.

Re&Re
post #16 of 23 Old 03-23-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Ok thqnjs have eazly found that I like the 75t best. What would be some good options for some matching centers for those speakers?

Thanks
post #17 of 23 Old 03-26-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

bump

post #18 of 23 Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Will a third 75t work?

Re&Re
post #19 of 23 Old 03-26-2014, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

No unfortunately it's too big
post #20 of 23 Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

You might need to give polk a call.

Re&Re
post #21 of 23 Old 03-28-2014, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

For the front L/R speakers, I would use the Polk towers. For the surrounds, use either the Bose or Kenwood speakers (whichever sounds better to you).

The centre channel is the most important channel in a soundtrack. With that in mind, DON'T use the Bose centre speaker. Instead, bite the bullet and get the Polk centre speaker that matches your L/R speakers. That will keep sounds consistent as they move across your front soundstage.

Your subs aren't very powerful, so stick them in corners to maximize output.

This sounds like good advice.

Quote:

So the Polks will get down to the crossover point of my sub???  Sorry not sure what that means exactly. And is the Bose VCS10 trash?  Used they are going for almost as much as the Polk CS2 is new.  Why?

Read the wikipedia article on frequency range or something like that as a primer.  Basically (and this is very basically) the human ear hears about 20hz (which is a 20 cycles per second low frequency bump) to 20kHz which is a high pitched squeel).  Each speaker in a system is designed to carry part of that sound, the tweeter at the high end, the mid drivers in 2in - 6 in or so sizes for the bit in the middle and the sub for the sounds below 80hz.

Each of these will need to reproduce that range at roughly the same sound pressure.  Without this occuring you will have gaps in the sound.  The bose may get you reproduction of the centre channel down to 50 hz, the L&R can get down to 80 hz and the sub can pick up from all of them but your center now has a 50-80hz gap sounds will dissaper into.

The center is important as all dialogue is directed there so you will struggle to hear James Earl Jones with his deep booming voice.

Looking at this thread

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?141222-Timbre-Matching-Monitor-75t

The M25C CS2 and CS20 are the Polk options for this channel.

Quote:

No I am not determined to use the Bose in any way, I am just trying to figure all of this speaker stuff out.  So the only reason the Bose VCS 10 is going for $100+ used  is because its a Bose? Or is it actually a good speaker just not matched to my Polks?

Thanks

Tom

Because it is Bose.  This is great news for you, the cost to change your Bose for a properly matching Polk will be near zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post

Will a third 75t work?

Kinda but it is a lot of speaker.  I don't get the feeling this is a dedicated Theater room so that will take a whole lotta love from your wife.  Additionally a centre speaker is designed to focus on great reproduction of vocal range frequencies, over the full range of the left and right.

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/home-theater/center-channel

CS20, CS10,

Ebay also has the same out there for a discount.  Ebay also seems to be offloading the Bose pretty quickly also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290274 are offloading an older gen.

and many others that may match the finish and price of your front speakers.

post #22 of 23 Old 03-28-2014, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post

Additionally a centre speaker is designed to focus on great reproduction of vocal range frequencies, over the full range of the left and right.

This may be true but it shouldn't be, IMO, your center should be at least as capable as your L & R if at all possible.

Re&Re
post #23 of 23 Old 03-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post

This may be true but it shouldn't be, IMO, your center should be at least as capable as your L & R if at all possible.

True, somewhere in my comment was also a question about the room.

If this is a dedicated HT then as the OP suggests, buying another identical speaker to the L&R would not be a bad idea.

If like most of us this a compromised Living Room with HT surround and a big telly then from a design perspective finding a home for a third tower speaker is a challenge.

So, while it should not be, the centre is usually build with some element of design compromise compared to the L&R, smaller volume box, fewer drivers, something.

My highly compromised design KEF e305s (the mini eggs) actually have the magical quality that all 7 speakers are absolutely identical.  The WHFS&V review commented that it gives an immersive experience as the panning and front to back has no change in sonic qualities between speakers.

So yes, it should not be true, but in a real life space where things other than movie viewing go on it is likely to be true.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 146 Home Theater Receiver With Ipod Control And Hdmi Connectivity

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page