Have a bit of an echo... where to start? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my room is about 18x14x8, but it's got a weird shape to it. TV is on wall where chimney shaft is, then next to it is a closet and then it leads to the end of the room where there are three large windows that are angled next to each other. I've been very happy with my set up for a while, but one thing that has always bothered me... is that the room has an echo to it. If I yell or clap very loud, I'll be able to hear it. So I can imagine that it wreaks havoc when listening to anything through my system.

I just bought a Rythmik LV12R and with the purchase, it got me thinking that I want to get the most out of my set up. I am a total noob to treating a room and was wondering where I should start. What are some things that I need to think about or look at to see what I can do to fix it? Is it even reasonably fixable? Since it's a living room, I don't know if there'll be much I can do, since my wife won't be happy about it...

My current set up consists of 2 x Energy CF-50s, a CC-10 center, 2x CB-20s for surrounds and a soon to be replaced Bic H-100 by the Rythmik.

Any guidance you guys can provide would be great! smile.gif

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko View Post

So my room is about 18x14x8, but it's got a weird shape to it. TV is on wall where chimney shaft is, then next to it is a closet and then it leads to the end of the room where there are three large windows that are angled next to each other. I've been very happy with my set up for a while, but one thing that has always bothered me... is that the room has an echo to it. If I yell or clap very loud, I'll be able to hear it. So I can imagine that it wreaks havoc when listening to anything through my system.

I just bought a Rythmik LV12R and with the purchase, it got me thinking that I want to get the most out of my set up. I am a total noob to treating a room and was wondering where I should start. What are some things that I need to think about or look at to see what I can do to fix it? Is it even reasonably fixable? Since it's a living room, I don't know if there'll be much I can do, since my wife won't be happy about it...

My current set up consists of 2 x Energy CF-50s, a CC-10 center, 2x CB-20s for surrounds and a soon to be replaced Bic H-100 by the Rythmik.

Any guidance you guys can provide would be great! smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

What you do is walk around the room and approach all of the wall segments, etc. Clap a few times at each location and see if the clap comes back at you from that piece of wall.

Once you identify the pieces of wall that are giving you back talk, apply some generic sound treatment, say one or more 2 x 4 panel(s) of 2" Corning 705 sound insulation with a 2" space behind it.

Here's an article about DIY sound panels that you can take some ideas from:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-accoustic-panels-for-your-recording-studio-or/?ALLSTEPS

You can find these panels or something like them ready made:

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/acoustical-wall-panels

http://www.audimuteacousticpanels.com/acoustic-panels

http://realtraps.com/products.htm

Google is your friend!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Clapping your hands is not a proper test. Your speakers are not 3 feet from your ear smile.gif. Have someone else clap where the speakers are and sit where you normally sit and see if it is still there. If it is, yes, your room is too live and while it would sound good with some content, hearing dialog in movies and such would be harder, etc.

The solution is to put more objects in the room that woudl either scatter or absorb the sound. They do not need to be in conflict with your wife. Just give her some money to buy a throw rug if your floor is bare (and thick padding under it), bookshelves, sofas, curtains, etc. They all help. Here is a nice example of how much from Dr. Toole's book where it shows what happens to "RT60 time" (fancy term/measurement for the "echo" you are hearing) as you add furnishing. As you see, they all help to reduce the reverberation time:

i-jjWhnJp-XL.png

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

What you do is walk around the room and approach all of the wall segments, etc. Clap a few times at each location and see if the clap comes back at you from that piece of wall.

Once you identify the pieces of wall that are giving you back talk, apply some generic sound treatment, say one or more 2 x 4 panel(s) of 2" Corning 705 sound insulation with a 2" space behind it.

Here's an article about DIY sound panels that you can take some ideas from:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-accoustic-panels-for-your-recording-studio-or/?ALLSTEPS

You can find these panels or something like them ready made:

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/acoustical-wall-panels

http://www.audimuteacousticpanels.com/acoustic-panels

http://realtraps.com/products.htm

Google is your friend!

I'm not at home now, so I can't do it at the moment... but I do have the rear wall behind my couch, only 10 inches away. I also have very low voice from my center channel, which I've assumed that reflections from the rear of the room is what the issue is. Would maybe that be the very first place to treat?

Also, is there any cheaper options to try? It seems to me that around $300 bucks is a lot per panel. eek.gif
Old 11-12-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Clapping your hands is not a proper test. Your speakers are not 3 feet from your ear smile.gif. Have someone else clap where the speakers are and sit where you normally sit and see if it is still there.

Yes, and not only that, hand claps don't have any bass content to excite room modes and ringing.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Clapping your hands is not a proper test. Your speakers are not 3 feet from your ear smile.gif. Have someone else clap where the speakers are and sit where you normally sit and see if it is still there. If it is, yes, your room is too live and while it would sound good with some content, hearing dialog in movies and such would be harder, etc.

The solution is to put more objects in the room that woudl either scatter or absorb the sound. They do not need to be in conflict with your wife. Just give her some money to buy a throw rug if your floor is bare (and thick padding under it), bookshelves, sofas, curtains, etc. They all help. Here is a nice example of how much from Dr. Toole's book where it shows what happens to "RT60 time" (fancy term/measurement for the "echo" you are hearing) as you add furnishing. As you see, they all help to reduce the reverberation time:

i-jjWhnJp-XL.png

I can't believe I missed your post! So... I did try clapping at the walls and honestly, ALL OF THEM were bouncing sound back, so I just gave up. tongue.gif

Now that I read your post though... biggrin.gif

So my floor is carpeted, I have two sofas and the walls right behind the couch have a very large frame of a ton of pictures my wife has throw in there from over the years. Then the rest of the walls have for the most part something on it, but mostly frames.

Would you suggest adding another rug on top of the carpet? I have that very short flat carpet type and then maybe throwing up a bunch of frames instead of just one behind the couch? I've also got a couple of bookcases with games, books, and DVDs. Then 3 ottoman's throw about the room. Then the entrance to the room is two very large doors that I put there to close the room off. Before it was wide open to the entrance to the house. The doors are from floor to ceiling and around 42in wide each... I guess I could try something up on the doors too for breaking up reflections.

I'll post some pics of the room later today to give you guys a better idea... my sub comes in tomororw and I'm reading and looking into EVERYTHING sound related for my room right now. Can't wait!!! biggrin.gif
Old 11-13-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko View Post

I can't believe I missed your post! So... I did try clapping at the walls and honestly, ALL OF THEM were bouncing sound back, so I just gave up. tongue.gif

In a sense that's good news - you can put absorbtion anywhere and not waste it. ;-)

The surfaces you want to work on first are probably the ones that are opposite and close to the sound sources.
Quote:
So my floor is carpeted,

Carpeting is often poor sound absorbtion because it has to be thin so that you can walk across it without getting bogged down. Putting absorbtion on the ceiling accompishes similar benefits and you have a lot more freedom there because you don't walk on it (I hope!).
Quote:
I'll post some pics of the room later today to give you guys a better idea... my sub comes in tomorrow and I'm reading and looking into EVERYTHING sound related for my room right now. Can't wait!!! biggrin.gif

Pictures and drawings are good!

Tags
Rythmik Audio Lv12r , Energy Cf 50 Floorstanding Tower Speaker Black , Energy Cc 10 Center Channel Speaker Black , Energy Cb 20 Bookshelf Speakers