Need Help with my set-up until I get a new AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok folks, a bit confused here as what to do for now until I upgrade my Marantz SR7300 to a newer 7.2 AVR with some more up to date bells and whistles (mainly HDMI and App control support)

For now I have a new 7.2 speaker set up that needs to be wired into my AVR but currently my receiver looks like it can only handle up to a 6.1 set-up but then looking at it the inputs have a 7.1 MCH input so it doesnt make sense to me why it would have a 7.1 input capability but only speaker connections for 5.1 or 6.1 ??

I have a Sony SACD/DVD player i want to put into the mix for now as well and this has a 5.1 MCH output and of course coax/optical outputs as well, I would like to have this set up to play SACD's mainly but again unsure what MCH inputs to my marantz to use would be ? Just use the L,R,C SurrR, SurrL and Sub and just leave the SurrB empty ??

I plan on using this HDMI switcher for now (again, until a few upgrades happen) to send my ARC HDMI to my soon to be delivered 65VT60 Plasma smile.gif

Last but not least My DTV Receiver has HDMI out and both Coax and Optical audio outs, planned on sending an audio signal to the AVR and then the HDMI through the switcher ??

Any best solutions for my set up is much appreciated, just want the best solution possible to be able to use all 7.2 new speakers with the limited equipment I have at the moment...The urge to purchase a newer AVR and Blueray player is getting pretty strong as I type all this .......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Your receiver only has one speaker terminal for a single surround back channel, hence the 6.1. You will only be able to use one of your surround back speakers until you get a full 7.1 AVR. However, there are preouts for surround back L/R, so if you have an external stereo amplifier you can use both surround back channels. That being said, unless you have quite a bit of room behind your seating area, surround back channels are usually of little benefit - in other words, you won't be missing much while you wait to upgrade. smile.gif

You will hook up your SACD/DVD player just as you said - L,R,C SurrR, SurrL and Sub leaving the SurrB empty.

You got it right on the DirecTV receiver too - optical audio to your AVR and HDMI through your switcher to the TV.

JDSmoothie at AVScience apparently has a good deal on a Denon 2113ci right now, give him a call! smile.gif
post #3 of 3 Old 11-12-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Your receiver only has one speaker terminal for a single surround back channel, hence the 6.1. You will only be able to use one of your surround back speakers until you get a full 7.1 AVR. However, there are preouts for surround back L/R, so if you have an external stereo amplifier you can use both surround back channels. That being said, unless you have quite a bit of room behind your seating area, surround back channels are usually of little benefit - in other words, you won't be missing much while you wait to upgrade. smile.gif

You will hook up your SACD/DVD player just as you said - L,R,C SurrR, SurrL and Sub leaving the SurrB empty.

You got it right on the DirecTV receiver too - optical audio to your AVR and HDMI through your switcher to the TV.

JDSmoothie at AVScience apparently has a good deal on a Denon 2113ci right now, give him a call! smile.gif

Thanks for the clarification Alan, looks like I'll just use my rear wall or side wall set for my surrounds for now till I upgrade my AVR....Thanks for the Denon AVR link as well, I'll take a look and see if it has what I'm looking for.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page