Help with Home Theatre Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-12-2013, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

building a new house and chatting with the builder today. We are going to wire in my 5.1 system, but not sure how it is going to work with the surrounds. The front's and centre speaker will be easy, but not sure where to put the surrounds as on the left side there is no wall to mount onto. I have attached a picture of the living area plans. I currently have 2 Klipsch RS 42 surrounds. I would love any feedback on the placement as it is also a raked ceiling and not sure how/where I can put in surrounds. I have thought about getting some in ceiling speakers and not using my current Klipsch surrounds. Would this be a good idea? Just looking for some feedback on the situation. Thanks in advance.

The W05a is a thin rectangular window which sits up high and that is the only wall the TV can go on it seems.

photo-23.JPG 34k .JPG file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-13-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Speakers should be at ear level, not in the ceiling! See this:

How To Set Up A Room

If you have to put a speaker where there's no wall, put it on a stand at the proper height.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 6 Old 11-18-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 412
If I had the luxury of building a new house, you can bet your bottom dollar that whichever room I was going to put my sound system in would be optimized for said sound system. cool.gif

I agree with Ethan - stands for the surrounds.

How high on the wall are you going to mount your TV? If the center of your TV is above eye level when seated, make sure you have a tilting mount so you can angle the TV down.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the heads up Alan. I am currently looking into mounts for my TV. I have a 55" Samsung LED which right now sits on its own stand. I was looking into the wire mounts on the wall as they look clean and tight to the wall. Thoughts?

I am in Australia so I will have a look online to find some good stands for the speakers as the ones I have now are universal stands and they aren't the best. If I am putting stands in I want to make sure they look nice.

Anything else I need to consider in the next week-two before I place an order online with mono price for some outlets/speaker wire, etc.?

Thanks again for the help
post #5 of 6 Old 11-19-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Like I said, you don't want to mount your TV flat to the wall if the center is above eye level....especially so if you have a 3D TV. You need the ability to tilt it down so it is facing your head otherwise picture quality will suffer.

In a perfect world, the TV would never be mounted above eye level....but I understand WAF. wink.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 11-20-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 150
For 5.1 home theater, Dolby recommends the surround channel speakers at 90 to 110 degrees (90 degrees is directly to the sides) of the listening position:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide//index.html

I have used in-ceiling speakers slightly behind the listening position pointed straight down toward the floor and I was happy with the results, the sound was indirect which was good for surround channel soundtrack sound. You could use some of the better in-wall speakers which come with back boxes (or have optional back boxes) so that there isn't vibration inside the ceiling and you don't get that "hollow" sound characteristic of in-wall speakers (Triad, Def Tech, etc)

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page