Will this UPS affect my sound quality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-14-2013, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Back-UPS-Uninterruptible-Supply/dp/B0038ZTZ3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384483579&sr=8-1&keywords=apc+BR1000G

It says: "Waveform Type Stepped approximation to a sinewave"

Will that affect the sound quality? Does my receiver/amp convert the speaker's signal to pure sine, perhaps?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 323
You should not plug your amp into this. It will run out of power very quickly. Are you planning to listen to loud music without mains power?

Answering your question anyway, a lot of equipment will work with it but some may run hotter, make whining mechanical noise, etc. Some may fail to run on it. And there is a slight chance of damage to gear. This is all the case when it is operating on battery. When connected to mains, it doesn't do anything as it passes the AC power as is.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amirm, thanks for pointing that out about the wave only applying during battery use, when not using the mains.

I don't want to run my HT off of a battery. My primary concern is a power conditioner: to protect my equipment from brownouts, etc.
So yes, I will be using mains almost entirely.

I don't listen to loud music, and the sub amp will not be plugged into this. I won't exceed the power rating.

I want to plug a Plasma TV, Receiver, Cable DVR, and Consoles into it.
Are any of those likely to be damaged by type of wave this UPS uses, when it switches to battery for a very short period during loss of power?

Thanks.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by icor1031 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Back-UPS-Uninterruptible-Supply/dp/B0038ZTZ3W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384483579&sr=8-1&keywords=apc+BR1000G

It says: "Waveform Type Stepped approximation to a sinewave"

Will that affect the sound quality? Does my receiver/amp convert the speaker's signal to pure sine, perhaps?

Yes, the purpose of an audio component's power supply is to turn trashy power line power into good-sounding tunes. Seriously. In modern times its not unusual for a component's power supply to take a fairly clean waveform from the power line, turn it into utterly trashy square waves or worse, and then turn it into great sounding tunes.

Amir's advice about not putting the power amp on the UPS is good. It is akin to the IT guy who tells you to not put your laser printer on your UPS. However, most power amps and AVRs don't draw excessive power unless you crank them up.

As a rule audio gear can handle brownouts pretty well, and without damage. The UPS is primarily a tool to handle short term outages.

I just lived through a couple of years of horrific summers that were filled with uncountable outages and brown outs. It was all due to a pizzeria moving onto my block. The ovens were the straw that broke the power system's back. In the end a complete re-engineering of the block's power system at an alleged cost of close to a million dollars including all new poles and wiring and the addition of two additional pole transformers. This did the job.

It turned out that the failures seen at my house were primarily on just one phase of the two that feed my house which is typical. While the audio gear was on the failing phase the outages were lengthy enough that no UPS would have helped me. Moving the equipment o the other phase with an extension cord was all it took to obtain a major improvement.

If you are worried about power surges, you want a whole-house surge protector.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Icor, these products were developed for the computer industry to prevent data loss during a power outage. It allowed the computer user to bring down the computer elegantly so that the files would be saved properly. That really is their purpose. With an audio system a power shortage just makes the sound go off. There isn't any data to lose. You wouldn't be able to keep the audio system running for long on the battery so it really is mostly hype in the audio business - a way to sell a product to a new target customer. Save your money and use it for better purposes.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 323
The surge protection in these UPS boxes is the same as what is in a $10 power strip. So if that is the only use, get the power strip. I personally don't bother with that. If you own your own house, call your power company and for $300 or so, they will install a surge protection device in your meter. It is not a world class solution but it is at the point where it matters most and will work much better than a power strip.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page