5.1 Audio Not Outputting Correctly via Netflix on Xbox 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

I have a Kenwood VR-606 receiver. The Xbox is set to output Dolby Digital, and the Netflix app shows it outputting DD5.1. The receiver is set to Dolby Digital as well.

Last night I watched a film, and it sounded awful. I think it was only 2.0, despite what it said on-screen, since dialogue was almost non-existent (I had to turn it up to around -30, when usually "loud" is in the mid -40's). The only options available to me on the receiver were switching between DD and Stereo.

Anyone have any idea/personal experience with Netflix lately?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Lots of Netflix content is only stereo. Was the problem with just the one film or did the same thing happen with all content you tried? Did it work before and is this a change?
post #3 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Netflix recently updated to the new design, which I believe prompted this change. Usually if something is stereo, I can switch my receiver into Pro Logic II and the mix sounds better (center channel, etc). But what Netflix seems to have done is output the 2.0... in 5.1. Meaning, to the receiver, it is 5.1. But really there's only audio from the L and R speakers.

It appears this is on Netflix's end, then--it happened the last time they did an update, I've found.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-15-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
My son took his Xbox off to college this fall, so if there's been a change since September, I can't help. Sorry. But, it would be unfortunate if they are now trapping a stereo signal in a 5.1 wrapper. Your only recourse would be setting the Xbox output to stereo so that you could apply a DSP such as PLII.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM

I have been going crazy trying to figure out what is going on as well. Half the shows I watch seem to be in 5.1 but recently I was not getting any sound out of the receiver (it was optically leaving the Xbox and reaching my wireless headphones, but nothing coming out of the speakers). Finally found that the kids had switched to Front B instead of Front A and that I now have sound, but only out of the 2 channels!!!

I have been very confused why some was only out of 2 channels (which are listed a 5.1 and the receiver says DD) and other shows and movies are indeed in 5.1.

This is interesting and disappointing if Netflix is actually only sending 2.1 of the 5.1 channels. Anyone able to tell if it is only via the Xbox 360 that this occurs?

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Netflix , Xbox 360 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page