Ceiling Acoustic Treatment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
When is acoustic treatment on the ceilings absolutely necessary? I have a basement theater room and the ceilings are obnoxiously low, which I absolutely hate. The ceiling is about 7 feet tall. It was strongly suggested to me by Brian at GIK acoustics that I put two 244 GIK panels on the ceiling in my theater room BECAUSE the ceiling is so low. I bought them and was trying to hang them. Aside from me having a hell of a time finding the studs in the ceiling, I was holding them up against the ceiling, completely flush and they come down so low that some people would actually be rubbing their head on them when standing up. So my question is, is it really imperative that I put these on the ceiling, or is there another place for them that would just as good or close to as good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any suggestions?
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

When is acoustic treatment on the ceilings absolutely necessary?
It's never "absolutely necessary". If you put panels on the ceiling and you like the improvement, then keep them there. If you don't like the results OR don't feel the improvement is worth the trouble, then take them down. There is no absolute in this matter, just what you prefer and what you're willing to accomodate.
Quote:

So my question is, is it really imperative that I put these on the ceiling, or is there another place for them that would just as good or close to as good?
IF you're trying to tame ceiling reflections, then the panels need to go on the ceiling. Putting them elsewhere isn't going to accomplish that.

Sanjay
post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I see. I'm trying to tame the room, but I can't tell if what I'm trying to control is the result of the ceiling reflections, or other reflections. Between the few treatments I have done and Audyssey XT32, I got everything sounding pretty good. My only gripe right now is the imaging. I can't get the imaging the way it should be. For example, I'll hear a singer in the center of the sound stage, but am still able to hear it coming from the speakers slightly. I've played with the distance settings for quite some time and got it as good as it's gonna get for now. Do you think this is due to ceiling reflections? The speakers are located pretty close to the back walls, but I don't really have much choice due to the size of the room, size of the speakers and room layout. I have 3 more acoustic panels coming for the rear of the room which has a bit of an echo to it. Then some corner bass traps at a later date.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-17-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I can't tell if what I'm trying to control is the result of the ceiling reflections, or other reflections.
Did you try the panels at the ceiling first reflection points? If so, did it improve the imaging problem?
Quote:

I'll hear a singer in the center of the sound stage, but am still able to hear it coming from the speakers slightly.
Are you using a surround processing mode, like PLII (Dolby Pro-Logic II)? Or are you describing 2-speaker playback?
Quote:

I don't really have much choice due to the size of the room, size of the speakers and room layout.
Can you post a diagram (even a crappy one) of the room with dimensions and placement (seating and speakers)?

Sanjay
post #6 of 10 Old 11-17-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I wasn't able to mount the panels on the ceiling due to how low they would have come. I'm 6' and I have only inches before the top of my head rubs against it. Anybody else taller would be hitting it with their head so I didn't even bother. With that being said, I mounted them on the side walls next to the speakers, higher up toward the ceiling and the sound did improve quite noticeably. The imaging is still not wear I want it to be, but it is better. The sound itself is much smoother, clearer and more natural sounding without the room adding nearly as much funky-ness to it. I'm not in a surround processing mode, just straight decode.

I'm terrible at diagrams, but if it would help, I'll take a video of the room showing you the layout and where my headaches come in. I moved the speakers out from the front wall a little more and that did help quite a bit as well. I can't move the speakers out further anymore because the door to the room is right in the corner of the room in the front of the room. If I move the speaker away from the wall anymore, it'll be completely blocking the door and I can't move it more in to the room because then it'll be in front of the screen. You'll see what I'm talking about in the video.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-21-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Did you try the panels at the ceiling first reflection points? If so, did it improve the imaging problem?
Are you using a surround processing mode, like PLII (Dolby Pro-Logic II)? Or are you describing 2-speaker playback?
Can you post a diagram (even a crappy one) of the room with dimensions and placement (seating and speakers)?

I posted a video of the room in a separate thread. Here's the link to the other thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500962/funky-home-theater-room-acoustics
post #8 of 10 Old 11-21-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Will look at the video and reply in that thread.

Sanjay
post #9 of 10 Old 11-21-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Will look at the video and reply in that thread.

Okay, thank you
post #10 of 10 Old 11-25-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 45
try using some 4" foam and stick them with an adhesive spray. They wont work as well as the panels, but it does help and it does require more area to be covered than using the panels. I got mine from http://www.atsacoustics.com/foam-acoustic-panels-4.html and their products are made quite well, at least their foam stuff.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page