Live Audio Recording Input Only Produces Static - AVS Forum
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > Live Audio Recording Input Only Produces Static
ptto911's Avatar ptto911 12:57 AM 11-16-2013
Hello,
I went to film a musical today with the Broadcasting team at my school, and I got the audio feed from the mixing board via XLR. So I plugged the XLR into my audio interface to record it to my PC and all that came out was static. Once I got everything plugged in, the show already started, so I couldn't troubleshoot much with the sound engineer. It could not have been a computer or software issue either, since I was monitoring the audio interface's audio directly from the interface with headphones.

I searched online everywhere, but I couldn't really figure out why the whole signal was just static. If I turned phantom power off for the input, it was static. If I turned it on, it was a distorted clipping sound. But no actual sound that should have been recorded was being picked up.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

arnyk's Avatar arnyk 03:54 AM 11-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptto911 View Post

Hello,
I went to film a musical today with the Broadcasting team at my school, and I got the audio feed from the mixing board via XLR. So I plugged the XLR into my audio interface to record it to my PC and all that came out was static. Once I got everything plugged in, the show already started, so I couldn't troubleshoot much with the sound engineer. It could not have been a computer or software issue either, since I was monitoring the audio interface's audio directly from the interface with headphones.

I searched online everywhere, but I couldn't really figure out why the whole signal was just static. If I turned phantom power off for the input, it was static. If I turned it on, it was a distorted clipping sound. But no actual sound that should have been recorded was being picked up.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Most engineers who provide a feed for visiting recordists, provide a line-level feed. Sounds like you were using the mic input of your audio interface, which can be way to sensitive and could easily be distorted.
ptto911's Avatar ptto911 04:05 AM 11-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Most engineers who provide a feed for visiting recordists, provide a line-level feed. Sounds like you were using the mic input of your audio interface, which can be way to sensitive and could easily be distorted.
I can see how that could be true, however, my audio interface has a knob to adjust input sensitivity, and even with it nearly all the way down, it produced the same static sound. I am using the Roland Cakewalk UA-25EX interface, by the way.
MarkHotchkiss's Avatar MarkHotchkiss 01:54 PM 11-16-2013
Hi Ptto,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptto911 View Post

. . . and I got the audio feed from the mixing board via XLR.
Just a thought:

Did he give you a single XLR cable? Could it have been an AES/EBU digital-stereo signal instead of a balanced mono-analog signal?
ptto911's Avatar ptto911 02:18 PM 11-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi Ptto,
Just a thought:

Did he give you a single XLR cable? Could it have been an AES/EBU digital-stereo signal instead of a balanced mono-analog signal?
Yes, it was one single XLR cable. He told me the signal would be in mono, and I had my interface set accordingly.
Gizmologist's Avatar Gizmologist 05:32 PM 11-16-2013
If it was a broadcast style mix desk the feed you got was likely a very high level signal along the lines of +4 db or higher and you system was just way over driven.
Up
Mobile  Desktop