Cheaply getting a whole house audio setup to work with different music in each room. PLEASE HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-16-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I posted the following on an Apple board and got ZERO hits so I figured I'd try my luck here with my true friends smile.gif

In a nutshell, I'd like to hook up a few cheap iPod touches into my 12-channel amp in the basement, that's wired into my whole house audio system, and control the iPod touches from around my house using my iPhone and iPad. I'd like to name each device "Kitchen" "Master Bath" etc for ease, and so each room could listen to something different.

Now, I'm not against using an Android setup, either. I'm actually a PC guy and only have an iPhone due to work and my wife wanted an iPad. They are nice, but I was only trying to get it to work with Apple stuff since I already have some of their stuff. I went to Micro Center yesterday and they have a 7" Android 4.x tablet for $39.99 and it is actually pretty nice! So, if I could do the same with Android, that's just fine. Ok, here's what I posted on the other forum:

I just finished wiring my ranch house for speakers and installing them using in-wall volume controllers. I have a 12 channel amp in my basement and all wires running to it. I wasn't in a huge rush to get this done but now that we're hosting a huge Thanksgiving dinner at our house in 2 weeks I'd LOVE to have this working for it. Here's what I'm wondering:

I have an iPhone from work and my wife has an iPad. I am a PC guy but do like these devices. Problem is, I don't know much about them and what they're capable of. As far as the whole house audio system goes, I would like to be able to control it with these devices as cheaply as possible. This is a very cheap starter home we have and I'm doing this audio system with a tight budget. Now, here's what I'm thinking and tell me if this will work...

I have 5 rooms with speakers and I would like to be able to select which song will get played in which room. I'm wondering if I could purchase 5 old iPod Touch gen 1's for like $40-$50 each on eBay and plug each one into a zone in my 12-channel amp. I would like to be able to name them in iTunes (no idea if this is possible) for each room, like kitchen, master bath etc. Then, using my iPhone or iPad, I could access them and tell them to play a playlist etc. I figure if this is possible I could have a whole house audio solution for less than $300 which is awesome!

Is something like this feasible? Is there an app that would make this work better? Oh, and can you create an iTunes library and then have them all use it or how would this work?

You don't know how much this would mean to me to get this working in 2 weeks. I greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks!
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page