Crossover Settings Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-30-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi I would like to get some advice on what I should set my crossover frequencies to. My specs are as follows:

Receiver: Denon AVR-1912
Center: Bose VCS10 (This is a link to the PDF manual...the speaker is not sold anymore so this is the best spec sheet I could find)
FL,FR: Bose 201
SL, SR, SBL, SBR: Cheap Samsung Home Theatre in a Box speakers
Subwoofer: Klipsch SW350

Sorry for the shoddy links, it seems like any products not currently being manufactured just disappear from the company's site.

So with this hardware, what would be the proper settings for crossover frequency? The AVR1912 Allows me to set the fronts, center, surrounds, and surround backs independently. Also, it lets me choose LPF for LFE, which is the input I have my cord connected to on the sub.

Also I have another question

On the back of the sub there is a turn-dial for lowpass that goes from 0Hz to 150Hz and finally "Bypass". Is this the same thing as the LPF for LFE that is available to set on the receiver or is it something different. Could you explain a bit?

Thanks in advance for your time and help. I just moved to a new place and I figured now would be a good time to learn how to set my surround sound up for the best possible sound.

void adjustPrice{

if (hasAppleLogo == true){

price += 450;

}

}

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-30-2013, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If you're going to use the receiver to redirect low frequency content to the sub woofer (generally a good idea), then you should set the crossover on the sub to bypass.

You generally don't want to set any crossover on the dedicated LFE channel. It's not the same as redirecting content from other speakers, the LFE channel is mastered from the get go to only reproduce LF content.

Having a quick look at the links you posted, there didn't appear to be any frequency response ratings. I don't have any first hand experience with those speakers so it's not as easy as saying, "set your crossover point here".

The problem with higher bass frequencies (say above 80hz), is that they become easy to localise. My suggestion would be to set the crossover point of all speakers to 80hz. Adjust the crossover point up in frequency a little at a time until you can localise the subwoofer. Then reduce a little. This will vary depending on your subwoofer and it's location in the room.
mtn-tech likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Don't forget to run the Audyssey calibration in the receiver. It'll pick appropriate crossover frequencies and help to compensate for the infelicities in speakers and room acoustics.

If you don't have the calibration microphone, a replacement can be ordered from Denon for about $25.

Selden
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Denon Avr 1912 Receiver , Klipsch Sw 350 8 Inch 350 Watt Subwoofer Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page