Downmix 5.1 to 2CH Stereo of Mono - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a device that will downmix a 5.1 HDMI audio stream (LPCM, DTS, and/or Dolby Digital) to either a 2CH stereo mix or a mono mix.

Here is my situation. I have a home theater/gaming PC that I use to watch TV and movies on my TV, but I also use it for gaming by connecting it to a monitor and a 2.1 speaker set up. I have an HDMI cable carrying 5.1 audio coming out of the PC and being split, one goes to my AVR that can decode the surround sound then passthrough the video to my TV. The other goes to a small HDMI to HDMI + R/L RCA box. The HDMI out goes to my monitor and the R/L RCA goes to my PC speakers. This has worked for a few days until I realized that I do not get my center channel audio, so the box does not downmix the audio, it just strips the left and right channel. For the most part, this isn't an issue, however, there have been a few instances where the center channel has been used and I have't heard anything.

So ideally I'd like to replace the HDMI to HDMI + R/L RCA box with an active device that will actually decode and mix down the surround sound and output a mix of the left, right, and center channel (or all 6 channels).

Can someone help me out here? Does such a device exist or I am searching for Big Foot? Thanks for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
you don't say what the device is, but if you don't miss A LOT of sound/content (what would be in the center channel-people talking, e.g.) then the device you have is downmixing to 2.0. Which by definition does not include the center channel, so you're using, in effect, a "phantom" center, which many of us around here do or at least have done at some time in the past without causing the world to end.

your avr could down mix to 3.0, if yo manually set the speakers up so that the surrounds are off. IDK if you could set up one input that way so you would not have to re-reset when you go from gaming to movies.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. When you say "phantom center" you technically mean no center at all, right?

BTW: This the device: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHS8LD8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am wondering if the best solution would be to get an AVR that will do this through a separate RCA out. Are there AVRs that will take put surround sound through the speakers, but then also output a mix via RCA or other type of cable that is a stereo mix or mono that does not just drop out a channel, but actually convert it?

I don't think my current receiver gives me the option to turn channels off.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 146
phantom center is, as it sounds, no center speaker at all.

AFAIK, ther are a few receivers that could output a stereo mix of an incoming multichannel signal to a second or third zone, and that should be accessible on preouts. But it requires a complete second set of decoder/DAC to create the second entirely different mix from that original multichannel input, which means (again AFAIK) that it's a feature available only on higher priced receivers
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
You could try using the headphone jack on your AVR as a stereo output, that should feature a proper downmix.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #6 of 6 Old 12-06-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

You could try using the headphone jack on your AVR as a stereo output, that should feature a proper downmix.

My AVR doesn't have a headphone jack unfortunately.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page