Need help setting this all up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-03-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just returned my previous bluray player and bought a Samsung BDF 5100. I just noticed that my tv has an optical input and was wondering how to hook all this up and still get 5.1 audio from my amp.

First of all, my Pioneer VSX 309 is an old amp has no hdmi ports. My new BR player only has hdmi out and coaxial out. I've read online that if you have audio going from your tv to your amp you're less likely to have audio/video sync issues. Is this true?

I'm going to guess and you guys tell me if I'm doing this right:

I hook up my player to my tv through hdmi and run the optical cable from the tv to the optical on my receiver, right? If that's correct, do I choose bitsream, dts re-encode, pcm? Also, does this mean when my wife watches tv that she has to use the amp for audio instead of the tv speakers?

Please help me hook this up right! Am I still going to get 5.1 audio if I'm not using my player's coax out? confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
The first thing I'd try is using the coax connection running direct to the receiver from your Blu-ray player, and HDMI to the TV. Maybe you won't have an audio/video sync issue. If you do use the TV as a conduit for the audio, you need to find the output mode that works with your setup—probably PCM.

As for watching TV, I'd guess that you can still use the TV speakers to do that, but you'd have to mute/disable them when you do use the AVR for sound—but that holds true for any configuration.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-03-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 130
If you run the audio through the TV, you will likely be limited to stereo. While some TVs will pass DD 5.1 from external devices, very few will pass DTS, which is the codec used on the vast majority of Blu-rays. It won't matter what output format you select on the player as the HDMI handshake with the TV will force a stereo PCM output.

If you want discrete 5.1 audio, use a digital audio connection direct from the player to the receiver. Set the player output to Bitstream or Re-encode.

Sync issues depend on your TV. You just have to try it and see what happens.

The Blu-ray connections won't affect TV listening. How do you get your TV signal?
post #4 of 20 Old 12-04-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry fellas....I was wrong. My tv has a coax input, not optical.

Does this change anything for me?
post #5 of 20 Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Your TV does not have a coax digital audio INPUT. It may have a coax OUTPUT. And, no, that doesn't change anything other than the type of cable that is used.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-04-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Another quick question....when the late hours come (11:00 pm or later) will we be able to watch a movie through the tv speakers or not? (assuming I'm going to hook up the coax from the tv)

Since there's going to be both a coax and hdmi cable running from the tv, will one cancel the other out? Or will 2 different audio cables give me issues? We can't be using my 5.1 system late at night (sub is too loud...rumbles alot).

Since sync issues are more from the tv (according to your post) what should I be turning off in order for the movie to run smooth without sync problems?

I believe my Sony Bravia model is KDL-32L4000 (sorry, I'm posting from work).
post #7 of 20 Old 12-04-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

You seem to have rejected the recommended approach of using HDMI from the player to the display for video and coax from the player to the receiver for audio. If you connect things up that way, it's a simple matter to watch a movie with just the TV speakers. Simply leave the receiver turned off and turn up the volume on the TV. HDMI is sending both video and audio to the television.

If go the other route and feed audio from the TV to the receiver, you'll need to read the TV manual to see whether there are any steps to enable the digital audio output and whether both the output and the speakers can be active at the same time. TVs don't all work the same in that regard. And, again, you'll likely be limited to stereo if you run the audio through the TV, which is the main reason most people don't wire their systems that way.

re: sync, there's nothing to turn off on the TV. The video processing in some sets takes extra time. That's not something you can turn on or off. Have you tried running a coax cable from the player to the receiver to see whether you even have sync issues? Most people don't.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-04-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Confused about what your devices have and don't have?!?

I run: BD-HDMI-TV, BD-S/PDF-AVR, TV-2 chanel-AVR.

No Sync issues, just mute whatever device is not preferred.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-04-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

I bought a previous Toshiba BR model a couple of weeks ago (returned it and bought the Samsung 5100) and had sync issues. I hooked it up the way you guys said. Had hdmi from player to the tv and then ran a coax cable from player to amp. Someone fired a gun and then the audio came like seconds later. People's lips wouldn't be in sync with the audio.

This is why I've asked if there's another way of hooking things up. I'm already aware of hooking things up the way you mentioned. I was asking for another method that might get rid of the sync issue. I haven't yet tried to play a BR movie with my new player but I'm assuming the issue will still exist with this type of hook up.

I took off 1080p/24p and noticed it helped but didn't get rid of the sync problem. Any other settings I should be turning off to improve audio/video sync?
post #10 of 20 Old 12-04-2013, 05:17 PM

Was the sync issue with the picture and audio, or were both the audio devices on, and they were out of sync? IOW, if you muted one of the devices(TV or AVR) was one in sync and the other out? Or, were both out of sync?

The TV and BD player are in sync, right?
post #11 of 20 Old 12-04-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

If the sync problem is the video processing on the TV, it will likely persist with your new player. Some receivers have settings to delay audio. You can try that.

Otherwise, you have to hope your TV can pass encoded multichannel audio through from the HDMI input. If not, you'll be limited to stereo.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

If the sync problem is the video processing on the TV, it will likely persist with your new player. Some receivers have settings to delay audio. You can try that.

Otherwise, you have to hope your TV can pass encoded multichannel audio through from the HDMI input. If not, you'll be limited to stereo.

One potential solution, if the lag is too much, is to set the TV itself up for gaming (i.e. turn off video processing). Samsung's TVs do very well in that regard, total lag should be less than 1/20 of a second when set up properly.

I leave my TV (Vizio M550) on game mode all of the time. I don't have any sync issues when using the HDMI to TV and Coaxial to receiver approach. Just a thought.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-05-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I own a Sony Bravia model that doesn't come with any of these options. I tried looking through the options on my tv last night and there's nothing there except the usual stuff like brightness, contrast, hue, etc. I even looked at the advanced settings and nothing there that will help (it's got black level correction, deep color, etc -- mostly video enhancements that shouldn't affect playback). There's no gaming mode on this unit.

So I unless I can save up for an Oppo, I'm most likely going to have issues with all these cheap BR players (under $100 bucks).

In all fairness, I haven't gotten the chance to watch any movies with this new player yet....been really busy this week. rolleyes.gif

Good news is that I have until Jan.5 th to return it (returns are extended during Holiday shopping). biggrin.gif

So far, it's way better than the Toshiba I had. Youtube plays much more smoother (less buffering) and the quick start mode is awesome. It's like putting your computer in sleep mode. Player boots up in 0.5 secs! eek.gif
post #14 of 20 Old 12-05-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt an Oppo would help with a sync problem that is likely being caused by video processing in the TV. Does your receiver have a setting to delay audio?
post #15 of 20 Old 12-06-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

I doubt an Oppo would help with a sync problem that is likely being caused by video processing in the TV. Does your receiver have a setting to delay audio?

Unfortunately not. I guess it's time to upgrade to a new receiver. At least I know what to look for when buying a new amp now. wink.gif

For now, I'll just have to pray that the sync issues don't happen. I threw in Kill Bill last night and watched about an hour of it and there were no problems. biggrin.gif

So if there's a audio/video sync problem the BR player isn't at fault at all? Why is it always the TV to blame? Is it because video contains more data or needs a higher bit rate to work smoothly? As soon as I experienced the sync issue, I assumed it was the player because I never had this problem with my LG model from 3 yrs ago. The only reason I'm buying a new BR player is because my LG model is constantly freezing up and requires I unplug the unit from the power outlet everytime this happens. Been putting up with it for nearly a year now. I decided to go out and try a new player.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

The sync problem in your case is likely caused by the difference in routing. You are sending video to the TV and audio to the receiver. It looks like your TV takes longer to proceeds the video. When routing everything through the TV, sync is not a problem because the TV delays the sound while it is processing the picture.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Well, if you narrowed the problem down to your Sony Bravia TV, have you contacted Sony about it? It may be a known issue and they may have fix, or a workaround.

Also, are all of your devices up to date on the latest firmware?
post #18 of 20 Old 12-07-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by underminded999 View Post

Well, if you narrowed the problem down to your Sony Bravia TV, have you contacted Sony about it? It may be a known issue and they may have fix, or a workaround.

Also, are all of your devices up to date on the latest firmware?

I haven't contacted Sony, no. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. I highly doubt they'll be able to do something.

And to answer your 2nd question, yes, firmware is up to date on my BR player. Can't update my old amp or tv.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-17-2014, 05:15 AM

I just got this tv today 60 Sharp, and im doing OPTICAL out tv to my 5.1 reciver.. do i have to to anything on the TV settings to make the sound go out to tv into reciver? I have my tv/sat button on the reciver, but no sound coming from my reciever. I also have the coxical OUT DTV box into the reciever, are these causing issues together?
When i do DVD button on remote reciever, i get great surround sound coming out because is coming from DTV box to reciever.. I just want the tv to reciever to work also for Nexfilx
Thank You
ooo i have this reciever also.
So i called Sharp to get some help for some reason when i watch Nexflix and i have OPT digital out from TV to my IN OPT digital in, i get no sound coming from my Pioneer receiver, tv/sat button on remote receiver works, but the digital signal will not pick it up..so no sound even after we made changes on the settings tv ,

My DTV box is COX out into COX in receiver. They said that it wont' work, WTF???????? does not make sense. When i watch DTV shows and press the correct signal, 5.1 rocks out of my receiver. Any idea, clues, helpp, 911, im so lost.

So sounds liks a setting on reciever.. I turn off all DTV box, unhook all..So i was streaming Netflix ONLY, and could not get reciever to pick up DD signal when i select tv/sat button. I even played with SIGNAL Select.. Am i doing something wrong?
post #20 of 20 Old 04-19-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Some TVs have a setting to enable external speakers. Also, is the receiver configured so that the TV/sat input corresponds to the optical input coming from your TV?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Sony Bravia L Series Kdl 32l4000 32 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv , Pioneer Vsx D309 Audio Video Receiver , Samsung Bd F5100 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - 32l4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page