Is there any multi channel output switch box for 7 channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-12-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I have a 7.2 theater setting in basement and just bought another set of 6 speakers for living room in main floor. I will run the wires to basement and use the jbl s7150 to drive these 6 speakers as well.

Is there any multi channel switch box available for simply switch between two set of speakers?

Now I have to unplug all 7 wires for basement every night before sleep and plug 6 wires for main floor. So my wife can listen music upstairs while I work. After come back home from work, I have to unplug 6 wires for upper level speaker and plug 7 wires for basement.

If there is some switch box like 7 in 14 out, then I don't have to repeat that boring plug-unplug job, that will be fantestic.

I can only find some multiple channel in and one out, I need reverse one. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 AM

Liked: 14
This is a poor mans solution . . . and will only give you stereo, not full 6.1 sound . . . you can use a Monoprice 8-channel selector (see link below). Plug your front left/right speakers into the "in ports" of the 8-channel selector, then plug the other rooms set of speakers to 6 of the available "out port" zones/channels. You'll then have to connect the remaining two empty zones back to your speakers (so you'll end up using all eight zones, 6 for the other room, and two to output sound to your in room speakers) . . . then place your av receiver on 2, 6, or 7 channel stereo mode. If you keep all 8 zones turned on, you'll get sound in both rooms that way.

If you want to control the volume at the same time in both rooms, they also have an 8-channel channel selector with volume control (see link below).

Not a perfect solution, just an inexpensive one that will work in stereo mode.

I'm sure there are other expensive ways to accomplish true 6.1 sound in both room, but if your goal is just for music, which is primarily recorded in stereo mode anyway, will, this will work very inexpensively.

I use this one (does not have volume control), and for what it is, it works. No bells and whistles, but does exactly what the documentation says it will do:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090305&p_id=8230&seq=1&format=3#specification

This might work for you, too, has volume control, but you'll need to run both A/B lines on this device at the same time, which is possible (cost a little more):
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090307&p_id=8232&seq=1&format=2

Good luck . . . just note, this is just an inexpensive way . . . it won't break my heart if you need something "fancier".

Enjoy!
post #3 of 7 Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Liked: 14
PS . . . on the coat tails of what I recommended for you to consider (the monoprice 8 channel selector), if your goal is to give your wife sound in the other room, and if your wife is like mine - she can't tell the difference between TrueHD sound and 6 channel stereo, then an 8-channel selector may be a solution to consider (among others).
post #4 of 7 Old 12-14-2013, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Might be something available commercially, but not immediately familiar with such.

My thoughts were to build a switch box, could be done with toggle (et al) switches or perhaps more elegantly with some relays, to get a multichannel A/B speaker selector.

Another possibility is a second multichannel amp, I picked up a used 60wpc six channel distribution amp for a bit over $100, then just split/"Y" off the signals from the processor to both amps. Then you could have sound in either or both zones by just turning on the appropriate amp.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-14-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I think Bryston has one. I bet you won't like the price... smile.gif

It would be cheaper to buy a new lower-end AVR for upstairs. If you have a recent AVR/pre-pro in your basement, many have a second (or third...) HDMI output which could take all the audio-level signals via HDMI cable to a regular HDMI input on the (new) upstairs AVR. It might cost less than $300 for the upstairs AVR. I guess all your sources are in the basement...
post #6 of 7 Old 12-14-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Bryston does have a speaker selector/switcher, but I believe it is still the 1 stereo input, 6 stereo output type of deal, not a multchannel input A/B switcher.

An upstairs receiver is another angle on it too, as you mentioned.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-14-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
^ Yeah, I guess you're right re the Bryston, I wasn't sure exactly how it worked. But I am sure it's expensive, I was looking at the price a while ago, and that's as far as I got lol.

As for the upstairs AVR angle, a Monoprice (say) HDMI splitter (etc.) could be added to the basement AVR/pre-pro if it only had a single HDMI output. They're quite cheap. I guess the point of this thought is that there are very few mch speaker-level switchboxes, but switching line levels gives a lot more options, especially these days if it's via HDMI. Less cabling ratsnest from downstairs to upstairs too.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page