Help me find the speakers for my receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 12-21-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Recently I decided to move away from my HTIB and piece my home audio together.  

 

I currently have these pieces, but looking for a new center and left/right speakers.

 

Receiver - Harman Kardon AVR 1610

Left/Right speakers - Kenwood JL 507 floor speakers (had these laying around from a older audio system).

Center - Jamo S 420 CEN

Surround L/R - S 420 SUR

Sub - Polk Audio PSW 10

 

Looking to spend around $2-300 per center and L/R speakers.  Preferably the same brand.

 

Thanks!

milhous3er is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 12-21-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I suggest that you consider the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers, which are $350 for the pair and the 10CC center speaker for $200.

If you want some decent-sounding floorstanding speakers then there just aren't many within your budget.

There is one good speaker that is on special at one place though. The Mordaunt-Short Carnival 8 speakers are normally $800, and this retailer has them for $199 each. A friend of mine bought them and really likes them.

That might work for you. The Alumni 5 is the matching center speaker, and is $149 at the same dealer.

I won't name the retailer here, but if you do a search for that speaker it should get you there.
commsysman is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhous3er View Post

Recently I decided to move away from my HTIB and piece my home audio together.  

I currently have these pieces, but looking for a new center and left/right speakers.

Receiver - Harman Kardon AVR 1610
Left/Right speakers - Kenwood JL 507 floor speakers (had these laying around from a older audio system).
Center - Jamo S 420 CEN
Surround L/R - S 420 SUR
Sub - Polk Audio PSW 10

Looking to spend around $2-300 per center and L/R speakers.  Preferably the same brand.

Your LRC speakers need to be timbre-matched which usually means same brand and series.

Here's some good choices:

LCR speakers:

L&R Infinity Primus P363 towers
C Infinity Primus PC 351 center channel or use 3 for LCR and skip the P363s,

Subwoofer (pick one)

Acoustech PL-200
BIC America F12
milhous3er likes this.
arnyk is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 12-21-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Awesome.  Thanks for the help.

 

You mentioned a sub woofer.  Do you not think the Polk that I already have is a good option?

milhous3er is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 12-21-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhous3er View Post

Awesome.  Thanks for the help.

You mentioned a sub woofer.  Do you not think the Polk that I already have is a good option?

My experience is that interesting subwoofers have cones that are at least 12" in diameter. In a reasonable sized room a diaphragm that big seems to be needed to provide satisfying amounts of bass SPL and extension. A 10" woofer has only about 2/3 the area and typically has less Xmax as well.
arnyk is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 12-21-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Ok thanks.  I have yet to really turn it up and see how it sounds.  

 

From my trips to the local Best Buy, HH Gregg etc, I have really only been swayed towards Polk, Klipsch and JBL.  I'm going to look into these Infiniti Primus some more.  Was kinda looking for more of a actual tower speaker, but you guys would know more than me at this point!

 

Thanks again

milhous3er is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 12-21-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Disregard my comment on being a tower speaker.  Looked at images and they are what I'm looking for.

milhous3er is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ivan Beaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,635
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

My experience is that interesting subwoofers have cones that are at least 12" in diameter. In a reasonable sized room a diaphragm that big seems to be needed to provide satisfying amounts of bass SPL and extension. A 10" woofer has only about 2/3 the area and typically has less Xmax as well.
IT all depends on how the woofers are used.

Yes in some cases size "may" be a guide-but not always.

Here is one example of 8" drivers going very low

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/tapped-horns/th-spud/

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
Ivan Beaver is online now  
post #9 of 26 Old 12-21-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

My experience is that interesting subwoofers have cones that are at least 12" in diameter. In a reasonable sized room a diaphragm that big seems to be needed to provide satisfying amounts of bass SPL and extension. A 10" woofer has only about 2/3 the area and typically has less Xmax as well.
IT all depends on how the woofers are used.

Yes in some cases size "may" be a guide-but not always.

Here is one example of 8" drivers going very low

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/tapped-horns/th-spud/





Depends whether you read the spec sheet or look at the .CLF file on the manufacturer's site...

These are also very atypical speakers - 8" driver in a 16 cubic foot box...
arnyk is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 12-22-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
amirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington State
Posts: 18,013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Your LRC speakers need to be timbre-matched which usually means same brand and series.

Here's some good choices:

LCR speakers:

L&R Infinity Primus P363 towers
C Infinity Primus PC 351 center channel or use 3 for LCR and skip the P363s,
I second this recommendation. In double blind tests, the Inifinity 362 beat out these other speakers:

image?pagenumber=22&w=800

Here are the scores:

image?pagenumber=25&w=800

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

amirm is online now  
post #11 of 26 Old 12-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Member
 
loader963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: VA USA
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhous3er View Post

Awesome.  Thanks for the help.

You mentioned a sub woofer.  Do you not think the Polk that I already have is a good option?

I have 2 polk psw10's in a 7.2 setup. Wish i had went with a single polk psw505 or the bic f12 instead.

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
loader963 is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 12-22-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Thanks guys.

 

So are we looking at the Primus 362 or Primus 363?  I can find some info (more info) on the Primus 363's compared to the 362's.

milhous3er is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 12-22-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
amirm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington State
Posts: 18,013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 388
I believe they are the same speaker. 362 is "last year's model" with 363 being the current with cosmetic changes. 362s are on clearance and you used to be able to get really good deals on them.
loader963 likes this.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

amirm is online now  
post #14 of 26 Old 12-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Member
 
loader963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: VA USA
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

I believe they are the same speaker. 362 is "last year's model" with 363 being the current with cosmetic changes. 362s are on clearance and you used to be able to get really good deals on them.

I did this when i got my new polk monitor 70s series 2 . When they get discontinued and discounted to clear inventory you can save serious coin. Plus you can read many more reviews on the older speakers vs the newer series which often sound very similar if in the same line

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
loader963 is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 12-22-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Alright, thanks guys.

 

Looks like I'm going with the Infinity Primus L/C/R.

 

Do they make a surround speaker to complete the set?  While I'm at it, I might as well get rid of my Jamo surround speakers and complete the set.

milhous3er is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 12-22-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhous3er View Post

Alright, thanks guys.

Looks like I'm going with the Infinity Primus L/C/R.

Do they make a surround speaker to complete the set?  While I'm at it, I might as well get rid of my Jamo surround speakers and complete the set.

The P143 P153 and P163 are bookshelves of increasing size that are commonly used as surrounds.
arnyk is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 12-23-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Doing some measuring of my cabinets, the space where the center will go is 20" long and 6 1/4" tall. Depth no issue.

The pc 351 is too long, any thoughts on the pc 251?

Depth is still a issue, but I believe I can lower the shelf another inch or two.
milhous3er is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 12-23-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Should say depth is NOT a issue.  Length is the real issue.

milhous3er is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 12-24-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhous3er View Post

Doing some measuring of my cabinets, the space where the center will go is 20" long and 6 1/4" tall. Depth no issue.

The pc 351 is too long, any thoughts on the pc 251?

Depth is still a issue, but I believe I can lower the shelf another inch or two.

Center channel 101:

PC251 Classic MTM which is not so good:



PC351 which has the upper range speakers stacked vertically, which is better:

arnyk is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 12-25-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok thanks. The reason I asked on the pc 251 is that it fits in my shelf, the pc 351 is a inch too long. So I'm kinda limited in shelf space (for the center)
milhous3er is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 12-25-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,275
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhous3er View Post

Ok thanks. The reason I asked on the pc 251 is that it fits in my shelf, the pc 351 is a inch too long. So I'm kinda limited in shelf space (for the center)

If you were good with wood you could cut 3/4" off each end and glue the endpieces back on. ;-)
arnyk is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 12-25-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lol, yes I could. I'll see what I can do, maybe even mounting the TV and going from there.

Thanks for all the help!
milhous3er is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 12-29-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

So I'm still looking.  Without having heard the Infinity Primus, it's hard for me to pull the trigger on them.  I did however stumble across this in our local craigslist.

 

Polk-

Monitor 70 Front Towers
Monitor 50 Surround Towers
Monitor 40 Surround Sides Bookshelf with sanus stands.
Monitor Cs2 Center
Two Klipsch Sub 10 subwoofers

 

Also includes a Onkyo TX-SR705

 

Has it listed at $1300, but it seems as if the prices have lowered since he has last checked.

 

What do you think?

milhous3er is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Here is the link for pictures etc.

 

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/4243385777.html

milhous3er is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 12-29-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
67jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhous3er View Post

So I'm still looking.  Without having heard the Infinity Primus, it's hard for me to pull the trigger on them.  I did however stumble across this in our local craigslist.

Polk-
Monitor 70 Front Towers
Monitor 50 Surround Towers
Monitor 40 Surround Sides Bookshelf with sanus stands.
Monitor Cs2 Center
Two Klipsch Sub 10 subwoofers

Also includes a Onkyo TX-SR705

Has it listed at $1300, but it seems as if the prices have lowered since he has last checked.

What do you think?

offer half his asking price and it will be a good deal. you've got a fairly old (by today's standards) avr coupled with an entry level speaker set you could get for around $800-$1000 new if you wait for the right sale. not to mention pretty low end subs.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
67jason is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 12-29-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
milhous3er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Yeah, I offered $700 and he declined.  I would still use my HK 1610 as my receiver, but it's only 5.1.

 

If he changes his mind I'll think about it.  I priced this setup new through Amazon and Newegg and came to $1275.  He didn't like that too much.

milhous3er is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 1610 5 1 Channel Receiver

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off