Trying to sync audio delay accurately. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-22-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an old denon avr 987 receiver, it always seemed to have HDMI video/audio sync problems. I'm currently connecting the video source directly to the tv and using optical for audio. In the past this was better than hdmi. Also this receiver doesn't seem to like to be connected to a Panasonic tc65vt60. The receiver just locks up. A new receiver is not in the budget at the moment.

Are there any tools on dvd to aid with getting the delay closer to being correct. It's difficult to just visually use a persons lips to match the audio. Everytime I think I have it correct, I watch something else and its out of wack.

I know the guitar hero games used to do something like this, but it was only to change the delay within the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 641
The receiver should be at the center of your system. All the input devices and the TV are peripherals that should be connected to the receiver. Fixing that should fix the problem.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-22-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I can't connect via HDMI with this receiver. :/ even when it was there was still a sync problem with my old tv
post #4 of 11 Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitemikes View Post

Are there any tools on dvd to aid with getting the delay closer to being correct. It's difficult to just visually use a persons lips to match the audio. Everytime I think I have it correct, I watch something else and its out of wack.

This is a bit of a rhetorical question, but...

What's the point of some other reference/cal if it's a moving target as you say?

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-22-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure its a moving target as much as me just never getting it right.

one thing I haven't tried is doing audio out from the tv until I can afford a new receiver.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-22-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

The receiver should be at the center of your system. All the input devices and the TV are peripherals that should be connected to the receiver. Fixing that should fix the problem.

No, it won't. You can still have lip sync problems connected directly to the receiver. It's glib to suggest otherwise.

If the AVR has a lip sync adjustment, and the OP's question makes it sound like it does, you may even have to adjust it for each source. Lip sync problems are often caused by a video delay induced by video processing, especially with HD sources and displays, and this is usually system specific, sometimes depending on source and display (the TV). It can be hard to sync, but I don't know of any reference DVD like the OP asks. I do it manually by trial and error and by making small incremental changes until it's right.
amirm likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The Disney WOW calibration disc has a great lip sync tool
Jack D Ripper likes this.

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-01-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Not that she has to, but my wife does a decent job of reading lips. And for some reason she's always looking at the actor's lips on TV and audio sync is always a problem. It varies from source to source & from program to program. It was a minor issue when we had a 27" CRT TV. But as TV's have gotten larger the lip movements have become larger & therefore more noticeable.

When we got our first HDTV I had to get a new A/V receiver with audio delay in order to get things reasonable correct & I only had to change the delay once in a while. We recently got a bigger TV & the delay never seemed to be enough, so I got a new AVR which goes up to a 400ms delay. Now matter what I set the delay to it's never correct for her. If I start with a 100ms delay & increase in 10 or 20ms steps to 150ms it makes things worse. If I decrease down to 50ms it also makes things worse.

The TV does not have an auto lip sync function but the AVR does. But I have tried all possible setting combinations. Have also tried HDMI to AVR to TV, HDMI to TV but SPDIF to AVR, and also using just the TV speakers. Nothing gets it right for her. It's difficult to comprehend that she can be so sensitive to sync when I don't notice any problem unless the delay is way far off.

Is it possible that sync can vary from scene to scene in a TV program or movie? IOW maybe a series of shots have the audio delayed 10ms and another series of shots has the audio delayed 30ms. And when the scenes are cut & spliced together in an interleaved pattern the delay keeps changing from 10 to 30 to 10 to 30, etc. Does that or can that happen?
post #9 of 11 Old 03-01-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

How does that work?

Maybe I could use that to determine if the TV has a fixed amount of delay, lets say 100ms, and therefore I would need at least that amount. IOW any adjustment would be from 100ms and up. I guess if the program source already had the audio delayed then I might need less than 100ms anyway. But the WOW might be helpful anyway to get an idea what the TV is doing.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-02-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post

How does that work?

Maybe I could use that to determine if the TV has a fixed amount of delay, lets say 100ms, and therefore I would need at least that amount. IOW any adjustment would be from 100ms and up. I guess if the program source already had the audio delayed then I might need less than 100ms anyway. But the WOW might be helpful anyway to get an idea what the TV is doing.

There are links to the manual in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482133/disney-wow-bluray-manual/0_100

The manual explains how the lip sync test works.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-02-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

There are links to the manual in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482133/disney-wow-bluray-manual/0_100

The manual explains how the lip sync test works.

Thanks, I'll take a look at how it works.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page