4 Conductor 8 conductor, 2 conductor. What is the difference - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-27-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to setup a system using cables with speakon ends. I found some that are labeled as 4 conductor, 8 conductor etc. How does this multi conductor work when all you need is 2? and what are the advantages of say 11/4 vs 10/2, or even 13/8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
How the question is answered, to me, depends on the context of the application.

Can you be a bit more specific about the plan and system(s)?

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-27-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnston7 View Post

I am looking to setup a system using cables with speakon ends. I found some that are labeled as 4 conductor, 8 conductor etc. How does this multi conductor work when all you need is 2? and what are the advantages of say 11/4 vs 10/2, or even 13/8?

The standard way to use Speakons for just one speaker is to use 1+ and 1- on a 4 conductor connector. I don't know why this is, but its the way that pro amps and speakers are wired up. The 4 conductor plug will also work on 2 conductor sockets.

For a fancier look, check out the metal ones:

The metal series includes a in-line female for fabricating Speakon extension cables.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-27-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 283
If you go to the Neutrik (Speak-On) site they have wiring guides. Multi-pin connectors are useful for balanced drive systems (which often use 1 as ground and 2 +/- for the speaker driver), multi-way (bi-amped/tri-amped/quad-amped) systems, running one cable to a stereo pair (with split-outs at the far end), etc. Look up one of the connectors then download the wiring guide for pictures of various schemes.

e.g. http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/stx-series/nlt4fx

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 8 Old 12-27-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The standard way to use Speakons for just one speaker is to use 1+ and 1- on a 4 conductor connector. I don't know why this is, but its the way that pro amps and speakers are wired up. The 4 conductor plug will also work on 2 conductor sockets

I think its the other way around... 2 conductor plug will mate with 4 conductor socket but not vice versa.

And, that sort of thing is where I was going earlier....inasmuch as if standard practices should be adhered to or if the system is such that potentially proprietary wiring may be acceptable.

post #6 of 8 Old 12-27-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The standard way to use Speakons for just one speaker is to use 1+ and 1- on a 4 conductor connector. I don't know why this is, but its the way that pro amps and speakers are wired up. The 4 conductor plug will also work on 2 conductor sockets

I think its the other way around... 2 conductor plug will mate with 4 conductor socket but not vice versa.

That is correct and agrees with the illustration that I provided.
Quote:
And, that sort of thing is where I was going earlier....inasmuch as if standard practices should be adhered to or if the system is such that potentially proprietary wiring may be acceptable.

The picture was right and there should be no more confusion after it is interpreted correctly which you did.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-27-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The second part wasnt so much about the 2 vs 4, but more about how the OP might choose to use them. If they are used in a proprietary setup with no chance the cables will be used elsewhere or in the wrong place in the application, then one can wire'em up about any way one pleases. However, like in the situations of a sound company, standardized wiring and pinout makes things much easier from an inventory standpoint and less room for error when people are connecting things.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-27-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone! that helps a lot. I think for my setup all I need is 2 conductor.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page