AVS Forum banner

Please tell me if I am doing anything wrong here

707 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  67jason 
#1 ·
I have a Denon 3312CI receiver and BIC Sub downfireing powered sub.

I feel like I do not have it set up correctly because the base is extremely faint and not sure if it is getting enough of a signal The power switch on the sub has an on / off. auto switch. The auto swtich should tunr the SW on when it detects a signal. When I have it on auto it does not tun the sub on. But if I put the switch to on mode it definitely is getting some sound but not a lot.

I don't know anything about the switches or dials on the sub. I took some photos so I am hoping if you can help me to determine if it is set up correctly. On the receiver I have it plugged in to the pre-out SW.

Take a look at the following photos. What if anything am I doing wrong.

See less See more
#2 ·
That's the right connection on the receiver (SW preout) and the settings seem okay on the sub. I own this sub model and it does put out good bass. The volume doesn't need to be up that high on the sub under normal circumstances, but I understand why you did it here. You might be turning it back down if you find out what is wrong. Might try the sub's phase setting at 180 just to see if it improves things, but if it doesn't, switch it back to zero.

There are additional subwoofer settings in the setup menu on the receiver as well, and it could be turned way down there. Could also be the receiver's sub out crossover (try it at 80hz.)

Did you use any room correction programs in the receiver, like Audyssey?

#4 ·
turn the crossover knob on your sub as high as it will go, run aydyssey, when completed set speakers to small with crossovers set to 80hz. enable dynamic eq and disable dynamic volume. set sub to lfe and ensure the lpf for lfe setting is at 120hz. sit back and enjoy.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason  /t/1508242/please-tell-me-if-i-am-doing-anything-wrong-here#post_24130769

run aydyssey, when completed set speakers to small with crossovers set to 80hz.

How do you compensate for the different FR when changing parameters after audyssey is run? Is it expected that the differences are minor and more hassle then worth?

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut11  /t/1508242/please-tell-me-if-i-am-doing-anything-wrong-here/0_100#post_24130802

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason  /t/1508242/please-tell-me-if-i-am-doing-anything-wrong-here#post_24130769

run aydyssey, when completed set speakers to small with crossovers set to 80hz.

How do you compensate for the different FR when changing parameters after audyssey is run? Is it expected that the differences are minor and more hassle then worth?

just about every audyssey equipped avr allows for different crossover settings for each speaker set - you can run your mains at 40hz, your center at 60hz and your surrounds at 150hz for example. 80hz is a good starting point for capable speakers and not only is it the thx recommended crossover for movie content it happens to work well for most set ups. preferences vary, and nothing wrong with different settings,but 80hz is a good place to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.