Critique first-time build for small, commercial area - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello, all:

I have some limited experience with automotive and home-theater setups, but this one is new. I have a budget around $2000 for the whole thing, and am looking for a speaker/amp/sub setup that will offer good sound and decent bump for an 1200 sq ft bar. (10800 cu ft). Although, the setup is for a bar, the speakers will rarely be used for the typical, heavy-bass that you would expect. I would say it's going to be more country and vocal-oriented music. Anyways, I haven't come up with the subwoofer yet, as that will probably put me over budget, but I want to get the speakers/receiver ironed out.

What I have so far are:

Front: Klipsch F-30 (150/600w)

Rear: Klipsch S-10 (50/200w)

Center: Polk 25C (20-175W)

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR717 or TX-NR718 (depends on recommendations)

Subwoofer: Probably dual 15's; yet to be decided because of budget

A little more info: the receiver needs to have dual zone support and internet radio/Pandora/etc. access. There's a potential that a second zone will be set up to give stereo sound to a small diner that is attached to the bar. Again, I know I am pretty limited by the budget, but commercial setups are out of the question, and I think the small size of the atmosphere and desire for clarity of sound will lend itself to this type of setup.

This might be a horrible first start, but it's what I have come up with this far. Thanks for any hints/insight!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-02-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
I would forget trying to get surround effect since most people will not be in a position to get the effect and there is no "focal point" as with a home theater.

You also need to use professional gear (gear that is meant to be used all day -day after day). Typical HT gear will not do that.

You also need to seriously consider where you are going to put the speakers. Are they going to be flown? Do they have proper fly points-do YOU have the license/skill to do so properly so they don't fall and KILL somebody. Guess who would be liable?

Do you have the proper permits etc? Are you licensed to do business in the city you are talking about? Do you have liability insurance?

There is a lot more to doing commercial installs than hooking up a few wires and hoping it all works properly-and STAYS working.

What sort of warranty will you offer? What all will it cover?

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2014, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

None of what you're questioning is really applicable to this install. I'm not doing this for profit or as an advertised skill. I have a relative that is going to be opening his bar for a few hours each evening and wants to have better music than his old jukebox produces. His old system was a couple 5-way's from the 70's that could generate good bass and nothing else.

The tower speakers will be standing on a small podium which also supports a large screen television. The satellite speakers will be in the corners, opposite the tower speakers.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-03-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by obs3lite View Post

None of what you're questioning is really applicable to this install. I'm not doing this for profit or as an advertised skill. I have a relative that is going to be opening his bar for a few hours each evening and wants to have better music than his old jukebox produces. His old system was a couple 5-way's from the 70's that could generate good bass and nothing else.

The tower speakers will be standing on a small podium which also supports a large screen television. The satellite speakers will be in the corners, opposite the tower speakers.
I guess you have it all figured out-so go ahead with your plan.

You asked to be "critiqued"-so that is what I was doing-at least the general idea.

If you were wanting ideas on using home equipment for commercial usage-then I don't suggest it.

Of course using gear designed for commercial usage would send you over budget.

Let's hope it works out for you.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page