Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonmeister2008 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

So I've been thinking about trying to get involved in bias-controlled testing. but I keep thinking that my results won't be of value if I don't have a switching mechanism to change between components (ie comparing CDP or amplifiers).

Is there a cost effective switch box that I could buy that could do the job? Once I've acquired such a box, how exactly would I go about matching SPL levels? If I compare two integrated amps, how do you store the settings for each particular amp? Unlike an AVR there are no trim setting controls available, so I'm not entirely sure how this works. I don't have a volt meter currently and I know my SPL meter probably would be inadequate for the task. Are there specific models you would recommend that offer accurate enough results to below 0.1 dB?

I have one of the QSC ABX comparators, which I've used for testing amplifiers. I even wrote a listening test software program that controls the ABX comparator (via RS-232) and collects all the listeners' data.

Too bad these are no longer available. I guess when it comes to high-end audio there is no money in discovering the truth smile.gif
have you published any results of your DBT of amps or was this your own personal test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 06-14-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonmeister2008 View Post
I have one of the QSC ABX comparators, *** Too bad these are no longer available. I guess when it comes to high-end audio there is no money in discovering the truth
Actually, while not from QSC there is an current-production ABX box available from Audio by van Alstine.

--

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #63 of 66 Old 06-14-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonmeister2008 View Post
I have one of the QSC ABX comparators, *** Too bad these are no longer available. I guess when it comes to high-end audio there is no money in discovering the truth
Actually, while not from QSC there is an current-production ABX box available from Audio by van Alstine.

--
Interesting. Did not know about this one.
post #64 of 66 Old 06-15-2014, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
From the Alstine website:
Quote:
FAQ #2: Why don't you publish specifications?

Are we hiding something? No. Our steady-state specs are excellent. It is just that standard IHF specifications don't matter much. It is like evaluating meat only with a butcher scale in which 40 pounds of White Castles would be identical to 40 pounds of prime ribs.

To me it doesn't make sense to invest a lot (!) of time in listening tests without knowing the limitations of the test device. If you don't take DBTs seriously, stay away from them.
post #65 of 66 Old 06-15-2014, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by arnyk 

The measurements need to be done with the loudspeakers connected. The key phrase is "in situ" meaning that the goal is to set up the system up as much like it would ordinary be used as possible.

The mention of my good friend TN is amusing. TN used to be a capacitor-fearing amplifier swapping golden ear just like me. Guess who showed him how to do ABX tests? ;-)

Thanks for the history lesson. Didn't know this about TN even though I met him once at a AES conference a few years back.

Sadly TN passed away at his home of natural causes about a week ago. His wake was yesterday.
post #66 of 66 Old 06-15-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Sadly TN passed away at his home of natural causes about a week ago. His wake was yesterday.
Again, thanks for this sad news, indeed. He will be missed for sure, me for one.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page