Best Speaker Placement for Non-HT Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-13-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking for some advice regarding speaker placement. I currently have a 5.1 system that I want to set up in the 27' x 11' main area of my basement that has two other rooms off to the left-hand side about halfway through the room, i.e., it's not a perfect rectangle. Because of the other rooms, I will not be able to put the surround speakers exactly at 90 degrees but can put them at 110 degrees. I was planning on having the main seating area about 10-12' back from a 120" diagonal screen.

My questions are these:
1. Based on the 27' room and thus the large area behind the main viewing spot, is it worthwhile to get 2 more speakers to put in for true rear speakers?
2. What should the height of the speakers be? I know the center speaker needs to be either below or above the screen, but I've seen conflicting opinions on whether the other speakers should be at ear height or above ear height.
3. Would front height speakers be a better option than the rear speakers?
4. How difficult will it be to match the 2 extra speakers, if warranted, to the current speakers?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Soccer Fan View Post

I am looking for some advice regarding speaker placement. I currently have a 5.1 system that I want to set up in the 27' x 11' main area of my basement that has two other rooms off to the left-hand side about halfway through the room, i.e., it's not a perfect rectangle. Because of the other rooms, I will not be able to put the surround speakers exactly at 90 degrees but can put them at 110 degrees. I was planning on having the main seating area about 10-12' back from a 120" diagonal screen.

My questions are these:
1. Based on the 27' room and thus the large area behind the main viewing spot, is it worthwhile to get 2 more speakers to put in for true rear speakers?
2. What should the height of the speakers be? I know the center speaker needs to be either below or above the screen, but I've seen conflicting opinions on whether the other speakers should be at ear height or above ear height.
3. Would front height speakers be a better option than the rear speakers?
4. How difficult will it be to match the 2 extra speakers, if warranted, to the current speakers?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Any advice would be first and foremost that it is not written in stone that you must use the entire area for listening. The only reason I can think of for trying to cover the whole area is something like I'm building a party room and I want people to hear music while they are dancing or some such.

11 feet isn't a bad width, but 27' is way too long.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Surround speakers can range from 90* ~ 120* placement. And if you can angle the surrounds to point towards the seating do that. You want the surrounds to be able to clear the seat backs. 6 ft to the tops should work.

Try to find surrounds from the same series as your mains.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, arnyk and 4DHD, can I assume from your comments that you don't think the left and right rear speakers are necessary?

What about front heights to go above the left and right fronts?
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page