Liked: 15
He lost me at solid marble.
post #3 of 84 Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 182
A solid marble outlet strip (err, sorry, "power distributor")? LOL!

"A new product category for high-performance audio".

"I was skeptical". Well, people who are paid to feign skepticism generally claim to be.

Watch it all the way through? Man, that's cruel.
post #4 of 84 Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post

They also have a clear acrylic model:

http://dagogo.com/hb-cable-design-powerslave-acrylic-review

Finally, the IEC cord to use with either:

post #5 of 84 Old 01-14-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 61
And yet not one credible measurement to back this up or a double blind test.

Foolz!
post #6 of 84 Old 01-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Two words -- audio jewelry. I'd rather buy my wife jewelry than my equipment; at least she'll make it look good.
post #7 of 84 Old 01-14-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

Two words -- audio jewelry. I'd rather buy my wife jewelry than my equipment; at least she'll make it look good.

Two things.  First, it is harder for people to convince themselves that their wife's jewelry makes their sound system sound better (even if it has the same actual effect on the sound).  And second, that is not an option for someone without a wife.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #8 of 84 Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post

They also have a clear acrylic model:

http://dagogo.com/hb-cable-design-powerslave-acrylic-review

Finally, the IEC cord to use with either:

Let me guess:  The marble one sounds more solid, and the acrylic one sounds clearer!

LastButNotLeast likes this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #9 of 84 Old 01-14-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

Quote:

Two things.  First, it is harder for people to convince themselves that their wife's jewelry makes their sound system sound better (even if it has the same actual effect on the sound).  And second, that is not an option for someone without a wife.

I would hate for those people to feel left out. They can send me the money and I will buy jewelry for my wife so they don't feel bad.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #10 of 84 Old 01-14-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

And, you'll get rewarded. wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #11 of 84 Old 01-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Two things. First, it is harder for people to convince themselves that their wife's jewelry makes their sound system sound better (even if it has the same actual effect on the sound). And second, that is not an option for someone without a wife.
True on both accounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post

And, you'll get rewarded. wink.gifbiggrin.gif
Always a possibility; certainly a much higher likelihood that she has an effect on my...ahem...equipment...than these, haha.
post #12 of 84 Old 01-15-2014, 03:43 AM

People claim this is audio Jewelry but is it not jewelry is suppose to enhance a persons beauty (at least in theory)?
Every single thing I see in almost anything audiophool is but asch ugly. The best systems are the ones that draw little attention to themselves and at least for me I prefer my stuff less showing. Even in my studio but practicality over touching an instrument will win in that situation.

Bigger thing though is the continuing decline of logical thought and vast wasting of resources. This both economically and physically. I mean is it any wonder that the USA is having such a tuff time if the so called high-earners can't even realize the most basic fundamental concepts of how things work? I knew this stuff when I was not even in my double digit age from playing with the 1001 kits from radio shack.

Although this is just audio related I face these same problems on a daily basis in many aspects of my career. From MBA graduates who do not even understand basic maths, to doctors who are prescribing homeopathic medicines that are not tested, have not scientific evidence, etc.

Perhaps it has always been this way and I am now more aware, but I can't believe this.

/end rant smile.gif
post #13 of 84 Old 01-15-2014, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Two words -- audio jewelry.

I believe the proper term is 'bling'.
post #14 of 84 Old 01-15-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807recordings View Post

People claim this is audio Jewelry but is it not jewelry is suppose to enhance a persons beauty (at least in theory)?
Every single thing I see in almost anything audiophool is but asch ugly. The best systems are the ones that draw little attention to themselves and at least for me I prefer my stuff less showing. Even in my studio but practicality over touching an instrument will win in that situation.

Bigger thing though is the continuing decline of logical thought and vast wasting of resources. This both economically and physically. I mean is it any wonder that the USA is having such a tuff time if the so called high-earners can't even realize the most basic fundamental concepts of how things work? I knew this stuff when I was not even in my double digit age from playing with the 1001 kits from radio shack.

Although this is just audio related I face these same problems on a daily basis in many aspects of my career. From MBA graduates who do not even understand basic maths, to doctors who are prescribing homeopathic medicines that are not tested, have not scientific evidence, etc.

Perhaps it has always been this way and I am now more aware, but I can't believe this.

/end rant smile.gif

I think you have hit on exactly why this sort of thing is important.  It is not a problem that some fool wastes some money, but the problem is that the person is being a fool.  This makes me think of something the philosopher William Kingdon Clifford wrote last century:

And, as in other such cases, it is not the risk only which has to be considered; for a bad action is always bad at the time when it is done, no matter what happens afterwards.  Every time we let ourselves believe for unworthy reasons, we weaken our powers of self-control, of doubting, of judicially and fairly weighing evidence.  We all suffer severely enough from the maintenance and support of false beliefs and the fatally wrong actions which they lead to, and the evil born when one such belief is entertained is great and wide.  But a greater and wider evil arises when the credulous character is maintained and supported, when a habit of believing for unworthy reasons is fostered and made permanent.  If I steal money from any person, there may be no harm done by the mere transfer of possession; he may not feel the loss, or it may prevent him from using the money badly.  But I cannot help doing this great wrong towards Man, that I make myself dishonest.  What hurts society is not that it should lose its property, but that it should become a den of thieves; for then it must cease to be society.  This is why we ought not to do evil that good may come; for at any rate this great evil has come, that we have done evil and are made wicked thereby.  In like manner, if I let myself believe anything on insufficient evidence, there may be no great harm done by the mere belief; it may be true after all, or I may never have occasion to exhibit it in outward acts.  But I cannot help doing this great wrong towards Man, that I make myself credulous.  The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things, though that is great enough; but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them; for then it must sink back into savagery. 
        The harm which is done by credulity in a man is not confined to the fostering of a credulous character in others, and consequent support of false beliefs.  Habitual want of care about what I believe leads to habitual want of care in others about the truth of what is told to me.  Men speak the truth to one another when each reveres the truth in his own mind and in the other’s mind; but how shall my friend revere the truth in my mind when I myself am careless about it, when I believe things because I want to believe them, and because they are comforting and pleasant?  Will he not learn to cry, “Peace,” to me, when there is no peace?  By such a course I shall surround myself with a thick atmosphere of falsehood and fraud, and in that I must live.  It may matter little to me, in my cloud-castle of sweet illusions and darling lies; but it matters much to Man that I have made my neighbours ready to deceive.  The credulous man is father to the liar and the cheat; he lives in the bosom of this his family, and it is no marvel if he should become even as they are.  So closely are our duties knit together, that whoso shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 
        To sum up:  it is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence. 

http://ajburger.homestead.com/files/book.htm

The loss of money by the fool is the least of the problem, and the issue of foolishness in audio is just a symptom of the larger problem of irrationality, just as you say.

post #15 of 84 Old 01-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

Bookmarked! Nice. smile.gif
post #16 of 84 Old 01-15-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post

Quote:

Bookmarked! Nice. smile.gif

At that link are three essays.  One by William Kingdon Clifford, one a response to that by William James, and the third a response to James by A.J. Burger.  The second of these is the most famous, and is, in my opinion, the worst by far.  But it is liked by many because it tells people what they want to hear.  For why I think it is bad, I agree with the reasons in the final essay.

If you ever want to discuss it, just send me a PM.

post #17 of 84 Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:

Bigger thing though is the continuing decline of logical thought and vast wasting of resources. This both economically and physically. I mean is it any wonder that the USA is having such a tuff time if the so called high-earners can't even realize the most basic fundamental concepts of how things work?
I hear you. Every time I get in my car, I lament the fact that it can set four more people than just me. And imagine the thousands of pounds of steel I push around just to carry my weight. I am looking to replace it with the BMW Isetta:

420px-BMW_Isetta_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg

Yeh, the fact that it is a "BMW" will still label me as a "high-earner" wasting resources but in my heart, I will know that I am recycling technology and not have to look at all those empty seats next to me.

Of course the car pales in comparison to my home! I see poor people living in streets, tents, etc. And here I am in a house that has multiple bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. Surely the five of us could sleep in just one bedroom and take turns using one bathroom. Come to think of it, we could use the McDonald's bathroom and just do with a single bedroom cabin. The nearest McDonald is a few miles away. Not sure how we could all manage to get there and back in the mornings with the Isetta. Maybe we all walk back and forth and hold our breath doing it so that we don't pollute the air further with carbon dioxide that we exhale.

Love to see the picture of your car and house and their specs. It will surely inspire me to do even more than above!
Quote:
/end rant smile.gif
Mine too. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

We all beyond rich in grand scheme of things guys. Let's not position others as being "high-earners" when our hourly *minimum wage* is more than some people in the world make in a month. Just typing these posts with no net information value shows how much we enjoy excess....

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #18 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 05:10 AM

Amir:
You really do make pointless posts don't you that are completely out to lunch.

If I could ignore you I would.
post #19 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:

Amir:
You really do make pointless posts don't you that are completely out to lunch.

If I could ignore you I would.

I'm getting better at it. ;-)

Just about every year I spend a week or two in the fall with my wife living out of a tent in the back woods of Michigan's UP and/or Western Ontario.

We always come back refreshed.

On the one hand I'm pleased that I didn't need all of the accouterments of civilization that Amir mentioned to live well, and on the other hand I'm pleased that I'm not doing this a few months later. ;-)

Can't get away from technology, though. It didn't used to be so comfortable and convenient doing this, especially when the weather gets bad.
807recordings likes this.
post #20 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 254
My grandmother used to say those who long for the good old days didn't have to live through them... She also said those who said they slept like a baby, never had one. I really miss her!

Sorry for the off-topic posts, what was this thread about again?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #21 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Marble, cork and that rap test.

How does that guy keep a straight face.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #22 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM

Have you noticed his house? I suppose there is some incentives there.
post #23 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30onoWXjYSA

Why are you laughing at this second video? From the first 3 minutes I can see it looks like it would be a nice room to listen to music in. I could almost guarantee that system will sound so much better than your typical AVS forum member's system.

e.g.. a room with many of the common mistakes you see around here time after time... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D54N9YdlseU

Can you pick the differences and the reasons why I said what I said...???
post #24 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30onoWXjYSA

Why are you laughing at this second video? From the first 3 minutes I can see it looks like it would be a nice room to listen to music in. I could almost guarantee that system will sound so much better than your typical AVS forum member's system.

If you finish, you will see all sorts of nonsense.  Like elevated wires, woo on the walls (along with things on the walls that probably help), ridiculous ideas about musical instruments in the room, nonsense about gear sounding better with the covers off, etc.

But yes, I expect that it does sound better than most systems.  The speakers alone cost more than most people's cars, so it ought to sound really good, even if there is a bunch of nonsense crap in with it.  Much of the BS is irrelevant to the sound; for example, wasting money on elevating the wires does not harm the sound, so much of the BS isn't going to make the system sound bad.  But it is still laughable and totally moronic.  The person is obviously an idiot.  A rich idiot with some expensive gear, but an idiot none the less.

post #25 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Quote:

Bigger thing though is the continuing decline of logical thought and vast wasting of resources. This both economically and physically. I mean is it any wonder that the USA is having such a tuff time if the so called high-earners can't even realize the most basic fundamental concepts of how things work?
I hear you. Every time I get in my car, I lament the fact that it can set four more people than just me. And imagine the thousands of pounds of steel I push around just to carry my weight. I am looking to replace it with the BMW Isetta:

420px-BMW_Isetta_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg

Yeh, the fact that it is a "BMW" will still label me as a "high-earner" wasting resources but in my heart, I will know that I am recycling technology and not have to look at all those empty seats next to me.

Of course the car pales in comparison to my home! I see poor people living in streets, tents, etc. And here I am in a house that has multiple bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. Surely the five of us could sleep in just one bedroom and take turns using one bathroom. Come to think of it, we could use the McDonald's bathroom and just do with a single bedroom cabin. The nearest McDonald is a few miles away. Not sure how we could all manage to get there and back in the mornings with the Isetta. Maybe we all walk back and forth and hold our breath doing it so that we don't pollute the air further with carbon dioxide that we exhale.

Love to see the picture of your car and house and their specs. It will surely inspire me to do even more than above!
Quote:
/end rant smile.gif
Mine too. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

We all beyond rich in grand scheme of things guys. Let's not position others as being "high-earners" when our hourly *minimum wage* is more than some people in the world make in a month. Just typing these posts with no net information value shows how much we enjoy excess....
thx Reverend Amir. I do enjoy your sermons to us plain people:-)
Just cruising likes this.
post #26 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post

thx Reverend Amir. I do enjoy your sermons to us plain people:-)
Hi Randy. I thought you had left the forum for good. Nice to see you back. Hope all is well.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #27 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you finish, you will see all sorts of nonsense.  Like elevated wires, woo on the walls (along with things on the walls that probably help), ridiculous ideas about musical instruments in the room, nonsense about gear sounding better with the covers off, etc.

It doesn't matter. As is often repeated around here the room is one of the most critical aspects as to how a system will sound. You know, average speakers placed well in a room will sound better than good speakers placed badly in a room.

So which one of those two vids has the better room...?
Quote:
But yes, I expect that it does sound better than most systems.  The speakers alone cost more than most people's cars, so it ought to sound really good, even if there is a bunch of nonsense crap in with it.  Much of the BS is irrelevant to the sound; for example, wasting money on elevating the wires does not harm the sound, so much of the BS isn't going to make the system sound bad.  But it is still laughable and totally moronic.  The person is obviously an idiot.  A rich idiot with some expensive gear, but an idiot none the less.

At least all that "nonsense crap" isn't going to make the "idiot's" system sound bad. His system will more than probably still sound very nice to sit down and listen to some good music in at the end of the day.

The same could not be said for the system of the bigger idiot (it seems to be ok to call faceless strangers idiots) in the clip I posted. So many of his room's problems could be fixed in an hour's time and not cost a cent to do.

So who really is the bigger idiot..?
amirm likes this.
post #28 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

It doesn't matter. ...

You asked why it was laughable, and I answered that question.  It matters very much for the question of how laughable it is.  That it does not matter for something else is totally irrelevant to the question you asked and the answer I gave.

post #29 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You asked why it was laughable, and I answered that question.  It matters very much for the question of how laughable it is.  That it does not matter for something else is totally irrelevant to the question you asked and the answer I gave.

I find 75% of photos of people's systems in the 'Let's see pics of your stereo setup' on this forum to be more laughable.

Go to a more audiophile orientated forum and you will generally see much better room orientation and speaker placement.

So if the room is one of the biggest factors of sound quality... who are the bigger bunch of idiots...???
post #30 of 84 Old 01-16-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

... who are the bigger bunch of idiots...???

Those that become obsessed with getting into a pissing match over a YouTube video. biggrin.gif
andyc56 and Jack D Ripper like this.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page