REW Setup on a Macbook Pro - AVS Forum
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > REW Setup on a Macbook Pro
jjhall5150's Avatar jjhall5150 05:12 AM 01-15-2014
I've just downloaded REW 5.0 onto my Apple Macbook Pro and AustinJerry's Step By Step Guide to setup the program correctly. However, I notice that the guide is specific to Windows.

How do you configure and setup the program to run properly on a Macbook? Is there a setup guide for Mac users?

My plan is to purchase a UMIK-1 so I can bypass the extra cost for an external sound card

Thanks.

mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex 11:38 AM 01-15-2014
you can "play" with REW on your Macbook using the internal Mic, and a HDMI cable to your AVR.
Try that, fwfw I have a new Mac Book Pro Retina and REW works fine for me.

Look at HTS, I also use soundflower and line-in app.
jjhall5150's Avatar jjhall5150 07:14 AM 01-16-2014
Thanks mtbdudex,

I don't mind playing around with the REW using the internal mic, since the room is not fully completed just yet. When the time comes to perform actual measurements however, I will be purchasing a calibrated one from Cross Spectrum.

Would you (or anyone reading this thread) have a preference as to which the most compatible Plug and Play mic with REW using OSX Lion 10.7.5? I would perfer not to use an external soundcard if I don't need one
mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex 12:29 PM 01-16-2014
Herbs a great guy to work with, I got the MiniDSP UMIK-1, mention you saw him via HTS and I think Herb added $5 off.
http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html
Quote:
Similar to the Dayton Dayton UMM-6 microphone, MiniDSP UMIK-1 microphones have a USB output so they can be used with PC's and Mac's without need of an external phantom power or USB/Firewire interface. The UMIK-1 appears as an audio input device available for use in many audio measurement software programs. The stock units come with on-axis calibration curves.

Transparently the UMIK-1 was out of stock when I ordered, so I was going to buy the UMM-6 , till I read the FAQ on it having a relatively high noise floor , so waited till the UMIK-1 back in stock, therefore get the UMIK-1 when you order.
Quote:
Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the difference between the UMM-6 and the Dayton EMM-6/Behringer ECM800?
the primary difference between the UMM-6 and the other mics we sell is that the UMM-6 incorporates a USB interface so that the microphone can be directly connected to a PC or Mac. This eliminates the need for an external soundcard and phantom power supply which reduces complexity and expense.

What is the down side?
There are two issues we have discovered with the UMM-6:

• The UMM-6 microphone has a relatively high noise floor of about 53 dB, compared to a noise floor of 30-40 dBA for the ECM8000 and EMM-6. This noise floor can cause issues with distortion measurements or measurements of quiet sources.

• The microphone may not work properly with software that expects the input device and output device to share the same clock source (for example, ARTA has issues when averaging multiple measurements with the UMM-6).

retro124's Avatar retro124 06:30 PM 04-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

you can "play" with REW on your Macbook using the internal Mic, and a HDMI cable to your AVR.

So if I understand it correctly I need just my latest Macbook Pro Retina with HDMi and REW? I don't need to buy extra Umik-1? 

mtbdudex's Avatar mtbdudex 09:11 AM 04-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

So if I understand it correctly I need just my latest Macbook Pro Retina with HDMi and REW? I don't need to buy extra Umik-1? 

Trying out REW can be done w/o a external Mic to learn it, the internal mic can of course take readings.

However using REW to analyze and make decisions definitely you need a external mic, preferably a calibrated one like I linked to.
Tags: Room Equilizer Wizard Rew
Up
Mobile  Desktop