Hi-end Vintage audio components (Value?) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

My mother has some vintage hi-end audio equipment that is currently not in use that she want to sell.

She and i, we don't know at lot about the value of old vintage equipment.
i would like to have an idea of the price we could get for each piece.

- We don't have original crates.
- the aesthetic is in perfect condition. (like new)

So here is it:

- Jeff Rowland Coherence one pre-amp. (Gold facade)
- Krell KSA-200 Amplifier.
- Nakamichi Dragon CT turn table.
- Pair of Apogee Acoustic DIVA Rubban speakers.

Ps: sorry for poor english

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-22-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Copy and paste (or type ) the name of each item into Ebay search field one at a time see any current listings also look for completed sales of items in same cond. in advanced search Ebay search options .

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #3 of 9 Old 01-22-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 264

To add to what tubetwister says above, the condition of the equipment is also extremely important to its value.  When comparing on eBay, preferably to completed listings in which things sold, think about how yours compares with what sold.  If yours is in better condition, it is probably worth more, and if it is in worse condition, it is probably worth less than whatever the prices are on eBay.

The most important thing about condition, though, is not the cosmetic condition that you mention (though that matters, too), but the functional condition.  If things do not work as they should, the value drops considerably.

However, you are going to run into a problem because I doubt you are going to find enough sales of some of those items to get a good idea of what they are worth.  Those do not all come up for sale very often.

And the value is also somewhat dependent upon where in the world you are.  Shipping costs can be very high, particularly for large, heavy items, and especially if new packing materials must also be purchased, so that can make a huge difference in what you will be able to get for them.

Also, I presume you mean "ribbon" for the Apogee speakers, and that they are these:

http://www.apogeespeakers.com/diva.htm

Whether you have the outboard crossover or not will also affect the value.

By the way, that is some pretty good gear you have there.  Are you sure you don't want to keep it?  I have some Apogee speakers, and I will part with them only if they cease to function properly or I die.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-22-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 278
What would you like for the Nak Dragon, and where are you?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

To add to what tubetwister says above, the condition of the equipment is also extremely important to its value.  When comparing on eBay, preferably to completed listings in which things sold, think about how yours compares with what sold.  If yours is in better condition, it is probably worth more, and if it is in worse condition, it is probably worth less than whatever the prices are on eBay.

The most important thing about condition, though, is not the cosmetic condition that you mention (though that matters, too), but the functional condition.  If things do not work as they should, the value drops considerably.

However, you are going to run into a problem because I doubt you are going to find enough sales of some of those items to get a good idea of what they are worth.  Those do not all come up for sale very often.

And the value is also somewhat dependent upon where in the world you are.  Shipping costs can be very high, particularly for large, heavy items, and especially if new packing materials must also be purchased, so that can make a huge difference in what you will be able to get for them.

Also, I presume you mean "ribbon" for the Apogee speakers, and that they are these:

http://www.apogeespeakers.com/diva.htm

Whether you have the outboard crossover or not will also affect the value.

By the way, that is some pretty good gear you have there.  Are you sure you don't want to keep it?  I have some Apogee speakers, and I will part with them only if they cease to function properly or I die.

Thank you for your advices, the Diva we have are like those: (The is not ours, but it's the same)
For the outboard crossover is it that: If it is, yes we have them.

Last time the system was used is like 15 years ago (i was young) but all the component was always been properly stored.
I will have to try them if they still work before putting them for sale. but if it's in good working condition, maybe i will want to keep it if i heard it! smile.gif

I don't know yet the price of the Nak Dragon. i will have to figure a right price if it's in a good working condition.
The only thing is that i'm from Canada. (Québec)
post #6 of 9 Old 01-24-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I can tell you that if you go to the right Canadian forums, there will be people in Quebec wetting their pants when they see your Apogees and you'll probably need to hire a guard. smile.gif Apogee owners are crazy dedicated to them. They are VERY expensive to ship (properly) from what I've heard, but not too much for Apogee owners who want better ones...

Edit: the person who put this together was no beginner, and it's all expensive gear too. As others said, this is probably a keeper system if you have the room and means etc.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Update, i just plugged the Jeff rowland and the Krell for testing + a CD Player.

- Turned on the CD player and Jeff rowland, nothing strange happened.. they seem to work.
- Turned on the Krell! damn! heard a noise on my speakers (not the diva) and shut down immediatly... house breaker turned off.

I plugged all 3 devices on the same powerbar, the powerbar is plugged on a circuit which have a 15a breaker.

Do you think the Krell could be damaged or is it just too powerfull for the circuit?

Thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Found my answer... The KSA-200 need 15a at Idle so it need a dedicated 20a circuit... i should have checked before tryed it.. hope i didn't damaged anything.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-16-2014, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maculosa View Post

Found my answer... The KSA-200 need 15a at Idle so it need a dedicated 20a circuit... i should have checked before tryed it.. hope i didn't damaged anything.

Probably not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page