optical digital cable - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I'm with arny on the ground loop thing.

My brother had a Monster Cable that was so big that it broke the little door where the cable plugs into. He now buys from Monoprice.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 01-28-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

Yes, do you?
I think so smile.gif. I have explained it dozens of times here and in the presence of industry technical designers who said they were correct. I have written and published two articles on it which has been read by countless people in the industry with nothing but positive remarks. And one of the papers was "peer reviewed" by top manufacturer of audio measurement systems whose ex-CTO, Julian Dun, is one of the pioneers of recognizing link distortion and incorporating it in AES recommendations for digital audio. And I have cited a number of AES papers and engineering design articles stipulating the same.

Now it is your turn smile.gif. Where did you learn about this technology? Can you provide references to where you read what I quoted? Have you performed any measurements of these links to know they are identical?

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #33 of 44 Old 01-28-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

I think so smile.gif. I have explained it dozens of times here and in the presence of industry technical designers who said they were correct. I have written and published two articles on it which has been read by countless people in the industry with nothing but positive remarks. And one of the papers was "peer reviewed" by top manufacturer of audio measurement systems whose ex-CTO, Julian Dun, is one of the pioneers of recognizing link distortion and incorporating it in AES recommendations for digital audio. And I have cited a number of AES papers and engineering design articles stipulating the same.

Now it is your turn smile.gif. Where did you learn about this technology? Can you provide references to where you read what I quoted? Have you performed any measurements of these links to know they are identical?

That's great...now how is anything you've said related in anyway to what I posted?

I understand that you feel the need to grandstand, that's evident in almost all of your posts, but maybe you should have randomly quoted someone else in order to shine the spotlight on what you think are your great "achievements".

I'll throw you a bone, why don't you tell us all, great wizard, how S/PDIF is different from S/PDIF?
Jack D Ripper likes this.
post #34 of 44 Old 01-28-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

That's great...now how is anything you've said related in anyway to what I posted?
You asked me a question and I answered. That is, whether I know the answer or not. Don't ask me questions if you don't want the answer.
Quote:
I understand that you feel the need to grandstand, that's evident in almost all of your posts, but maybe you should have randomly quoted someone else in order to shine the spotlight on what you think are your great "achievements".
No, I feel like stopping people from making voodoo scientific statements as to stomp on people to feel good. You know, like this:
Quote:

why do you insist on making a fool of yourself?

If someone said a thicker cable sounds better, you would ask them to prove it. You claimed S/PDIF coax is the same as S/PDIF toslink. I ask you to demonstrate how you know that, and what data you have to back it. So far you are refusing to do what you ask others.
Quote:
I'll throw you a bone, why don't you tell us all, great wizard, how S/PDIF is different from S/PDIF?
You are playing a game of Calvinball. For those who don't know what this is as well as Sam, here is the wiki on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvinball#Calvinball

These are the rules:

"The Unofficial Official Rules of Calvinball

Permanent Rule: You may not play the Calvinball the same way twice.

Primary Rule: The following rules are subject to be changed, amended, or deleted by any player(s) involved. These rules are not required, nor necessary to play Calvinball.

1.0. The following words in these rules are mostly freely interchangeable, the Primary Rule applies:

Can

May

Must

Shall

Should

Will

Would"

In other words, you change the game as you go along. You did not say that. You said this:
Quote:

If S/PDIF is the same data as Toslink, and it is...then how can S/PDIF be better than S/PDIF (Toslink)?

All of a sudden you take out the highlighted Toslink out???

So do you know the answer to the question or not? You called him a fool for not knowing. Do you know the answer?

P.S. This is my favorite line from Calvin and Hobbes:

Calvin: "Dad, are you vicariously living through me in the hope that my accomplishments will validate your mediocre life and in some way compensate for all of the opportunities you botched?"

Dad: "If I were, you can bet I'd be re-evaluating my strategy."

Calvin to his mom, later: "Mom, Dad keeps insulting me."

Let's hope your next response doesn't follow this kind of logic smile.gif.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #35 of 44 Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Let's see. S/PDIF is a protocol for sending digital audio data. The protocol does not change based on the physical transmission interface. S/PDIF works the same over optical, digital coax, and HDMI. There may be slight changes in output based on the type of transmission. But, what does that have to do with S/PDIF?
post #36 of 44 Old 01-29-2014, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
You asked me a question and I answered. That is, whether I know the answer or not. Don't ask me questions if you don't want the answer.

I didn't ask you anything, and you didn't answer. You posted another question. You're not always the centre of attention .

Now you post a huge diatribe designed to make you look intelligent, and you've failed, once again. You still haven't answered anything.
I don't think you really know.

The S/PDIFdata transmitted by a coax cable is the same data transmitted by a toslink cable. In one case it is represented by an electrical signal, in the other it is represented by pulses of light. It's quite simple.....google it, you might learn something.
post #37 of 44 Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Let's see. S/PDIF is a protocol for sending digital audio data. The protocol does not change based on the physical transmission interface. S/PDIF works the same over optical, digital coax, and HDMI. There may be slight changes in output based on the type of transmission. But, what does that have to do with S/PDIF?

I think it is safe to say that the transmission format over HDMI is vastly different than it is over coax and optical, which are as you say: practically identical. HDMI audio is interleaved with HDMI video. SP/DIF audio stands alone.

How identical are SP/DIF over optical and coax? The only difference between coax and optical in audio equipment is the hardware right by the I/O port. For coax its an electrical line driver/receiver, and for optical its an optical line driver/receiver. The signals merge in the logic and control circuits in the equipment. The output ports are usually simply wired in parallel. The input ports usual go into a simple selector switch, either mechanical or electrical.
post #38 of 44 Old 01-29-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

The technology in question evolved right before my eyes. It was revealed to me by a stream of magazine articles and technical papers that were written before, during, and after its introduction. It all made wonderful sense to me because I had been involved for years before with digital data transmission between mainframe, mini and micro computers. The first piece of digital I/O gear that I worked on, hands-on and internally was an IBM 729 tape drive that was implemented with discrete transistor logic.

So, it was all right there before me, in detailed logic diagrams, in real hardware whose circuits were physically quite large, and in signals that I probed with high speed oscilloscopes, etc.

Notice that the circuit cards carried discrete transistors, diodes, resistors capacitors, etc. Card level repairs were possible in the field. The logic diagrams for the machines showed the interconnections, and had appendices with diagrams of the various kinds of cards in the particular machine. Most machines used a fairly small selection of different card types. Old timers can read the resistor color codes and see that 4.7K was a common resistor value. This was probably RTL logic. This is circa 1960s technology.

The first CD players and digital recorders used off-the shelf TTL ICs and some higher level application specific large scale ICs, which was typical for the late 1970s and early 80s.

This is the wiring that routed signals and power among the circuit cards. The ends of the silver-plated OFHC wires were wrapped around silver-plated pins that terminated sockets pins for the PC cards shown above. While assembled by automated wire wrapping machines that were driven by decks of punched cards, the wiring could be and was frequently changed in the field using simple hand tools.

I seem to recall giving a presentation about CD audio technology to my local AES chapter before the public introduction of the CD. Our chapter was was populated by at least two AES Fellows - both serious technical heavyweights. Everybody was quite happy.
post #39 of 44 Old 01-29-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

SP/DIF audio stands alone. How identical are SP/DIF over optical and coax?
Oops... gotcha again. It's "S/PDIF". biggrin.gif
post #40 of 44 Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

SP/DIF audio stands alone. How identical are SP/DIF over optical and coax?
Oops... gotcha again. It's "S/PDIF". biggrin.gif

Old dogs, new tricks.. ;-)
post #41 of 44 Old 01-29-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
OP - cosmos5861; has your Q been answered.....seems to have gotten interesting discussion - I just love AVS forum rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

I am looking to purchase 4 optical digital cables (TOSLINK) . There are so many difference prices?? Audioquest vs Mona price is a big difference. Can someone recommend a good cable?

fwiw, Parts Express is located in Ohio, and I choose cheapest/free shipping and it comes so quickly.

Buy the size you need, anyone of the below will suit you just fine, heck I have 2-3 each optical and HDMI as "spares" just for swapping stuff around, so cheap price.
Don't over think this too much, many-many more things in life are so more important....

Optical
http://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=optical&sitesearch=true

and HDMI for ref
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/hdmi-cables/2140
post #42 of 44 Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

OP - cosmos5861; has your Q been answered.....seems to have gotten interesting discussion - I just love AVS forum rolleyes.gif

The first 6 responses summed it up. No need for the sarcasm.
post #43 of 44 Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

The first 6 responses summed it up. No need for the sarcasm.

No - really it's hump day Wednesday, and seriously these side bars in threads I truly enjoy!
Pick up tid bits at times, others just some of the virtual banter/humor also....
post #44 of 44 Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
subscribed...in the best interests of Forum Decorum smile.gif

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page