post #301 of 303 Old 03-01-2014, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post

what does it do?

I'm not entirely sure, but it appears to use some form of decorrelation.

As I mentioned in the REW thread, I like a dead room.
Also as mentioned, I currently cannot measure the effect of the plugin. frown.gif

Front with your scale

And with a larger scale

Rears could use more work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 303 Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Jim, I apologise in advance, I haven't had the time to read more then what you have posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim19611961 View Post

It would appear to me, that the transition frequency is determined by the delay of the first reflections?
So the crossover frequency would be determined by the delay of the kicker, since it has become our first reflection?

In turn, this delay for the kicker, determines the spectrum, acoustical interference, sound quality and timbre, of the reproduced sound? Which, at least as represented in the image above, is heavily related to the room itself.

The boundary effects and room modes are a consideration of the room only.

So if we consider this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim19611961 View Post

With these reflections, they aren't generated by the room itself (not when using rear speakers, for sure), and hence, they shouldn't suffer from all the problems directly related to room issues (modes, boundary effects etc).
So it would seem prudent to me, to lower the frequency generated by the rear speakers, to gain an increase in envelopment.

Either that, or instead of trying to theorise about audio reproduction at 4am, I should just get some sleep instead.
post #303 of 303 Old 03-05-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut11 View Post

Jim, I apologise in advance, I haven't had the time to read more then what you have posted.
It would appear to me, that the transition frequency is determined by the delay of the first reflections?
So the crossover frequency would be determined by the delay of the kicker, since it has become our first reflection?

In turn, this delay for the kicker, determines the spectrum, acoustical interference, sound quality and timbre, of the reproduced sound? Which, at least as represented in the image above, is heavily related to the room itself.

The boundary effects and room modes are a consideration of the room only.

So if we consider this.
With these reflections, they aren't generated by the room itself (not when using rear speakers, for sure), and hence, they shouldn't suffer from all the problems directly related to room issues (modes, boundary effects etc).
So it would seem prudent to me, to lower the frequency generated by the rear speakers, to gain an increase in envelopment.

Either that, or instead of trying to theorise about audio reproduction at 4am, I should just get some sleep instead.

The transition frequency is determined by the room size. That is, where the modal dominance of the room ends. Therefore, the kicker has no relevance to this. Notice the time delay ranges given. Therefore, when considering reflections <80ms, the 500hz and up range is what we are concerned with for the perception of spaciousness.

Envelopment as Toole is illustrating it doesn't happen in small rooms given the need for them to occur >80ms. Small rooms don't generate significant reflections >80ms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, (2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Room Equilizer Wizard Rew

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page