Where to place surrounds?? (Pics inside!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a small room, that is approximately 12 x 12.5'. After searching for pretty much a full year I finally have a pair of Axiom QS4 surrounds coming in. These will complete my 5.1 setup (currently have Chase Home Theater Pro-10 and Sho-10 fronts and Outlaw EX sub).

My question is about placement: back wall vs side walls. The sofa in this room is approximately 6" off the rear wall. I know that this isn't far enough away for "rear surrounds" to be effective, and that surrounds should be placed 90*-110* from listening position, but there is a doorway on one of the side walls (see pic).

I could place the speaker above this doorway, but the distance between the top of the doorway and the ceiling is only 14"...which means the top-firing woofer of the QS4 would only have ~7.5" clearance from the ceiling at most. Also, if I had these in-line (that is, 90* from listening position) then the rear-facing tweeter would only have 4-5" clearance from the rear wall.

I understand that the whole idea of the Axiom surrounds' design is to be forgiving in placement and effectively disperse sound for surround audio, but do they have a "limit" of placement restrictions?

I have heard a 5.1 setup in the local Best Buy Magnolia room which had surrounds located on the rear wall and I enjoyed the setup very much. However, I would prefer NOT to have mine on the rear wall as it is drywall, and I have already put all kinds of holes in it mounting my projectors redface.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Not sure if it matters, but these are the QS4 v1 speakers I am referring to...

post #3 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Ignoring your specific speakers which I'm not familiar with, I suggest you move your couch forward to about a third of the way into the room from the rear wall. That will let you place the rear speakers correctly, and will also improve the bass response generally. More here:

How To Set Up A Room

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #4 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

Ignoring your specific speakers which I'm not familiar with, I suggest you move your couch forward to about a third of the way into the room from the rear wall. That will let you place the rear speakers correctly, and will also improve the bass response generally. More here:

How To Set Up A Room

--Ethan

Moving the couch is not an option.

post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
There is an obvious conclusion to be drawn from everything you said; you can't use rear surrounds, because they would have to be placed well behind the listening position.

What you want to do is optimize what you have, which dictates a 2.1 or 3.1 system.

Don't try to make a size 13EEE shoe fit a 7A foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post

I have a small room, that is approximately 12 x 12.5'. After searching for pretty much a full year I finally have a pair of Axiom QS4 surrounds coming in. These will complete my 5.1 setup (currently have Chase Home Theater Pro-10 and Sho-10 fronts and Outlaw EX sub).

My question is about placement: back wall vs side walls. The sofa in this room is approximately 6" off the rear wall. I know that this isn't far enough away for "rear surrounds" to be effective, and that surrounds should be placed 90*-110* from listening position, but there is a doorway on one of the side walls (see pic).

I could place the speaker above this doorway, but the distance between the top of the doorway and the ceiling is only 14"...which means the top-firing woofer of the QS4 would only have ~7.5" clearance from the ceiling at most. Also, if I had these in-line (that is, 90* from listening position) then the rear-facing tweeter would only have 4-5" clearance from the rear wall.

I understand that the whole idea of the Axiom surrounds' design is to be forgiving in placement and effectively disperse sound for surround audio, but do they have a "limit" of placement restrictions?

I have heard a 5.1 setup in the local Best Buy Magnolia room which had surrounds located on the rear wall and I enjoyed the setup very much. However, I would prefer NOT to have mine on the rear wall as it is drywall, and I have already put all kinds of holes in it mounting my projectors redface.gif

post #6 of 6 Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

There is an obvious conclusion to be drawn from everything you said; you can't use rear surrounds, because they would have to be placed well behind the listening position.

What you want to do is optimize what you have, which dictates a 2.1 or 3.1 system.

Don't try to make a size 13EEE shoe fit a 7A foot.

I don't think setting up a 5.1 system in a 12' x 12.5' is quite the same as fitting a 13EEE foot into a size 7A shoe.

I have seen and read about enough "small theater rooms" on this thread to know that it is possible. It may not be ideal, but it will yield better results than a 2.1 or 3.1 system.

For what it's worth - I placed them slightly more than 90* from listening position. The top woofer has 8" of clearance from the room, and the rear-facing tweeter has about 8"-8.5" of clearance from the rear wall. They are angled (not directly facing the rear wall) so that made me a little more comfortable making this decision, and seem to be doing fine so far...although I haven't really tested them yet, as I only watched 1 movie at low volume yesterday after setting them up.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page