Possible setup for vinyl? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I almost exclusively listen to music on my computer using a Hifiman HE-500 with a Schiit Modi/Magni, but I'm considering getting a sound system set up in my apartment. Vinyl records seem intimidating but fascinating to me at the same time. Online searches seem to show that the $400 Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is the most recommended, but I'd like to keep everything under $1000. I'd have to also buy speakers and I believe an amp is also necessary for a record player. Would I be able to get a high quality set up with that much or am I daydreaming? I'm really hesitant to buy anything used so try to keep everything at new price levels. (Terrified of them breaking outside of warranty and me being handy deficient)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson184 View Post

I almost exclusively listen to music on my computer using a Hifiman HE-500 with a Schiit Modi/Magni, but I'm considering getting a sound system set up in my apartment. Vinyl records seem intimidating but fascinating to me at the same time. Online searches seem to show that the $400 Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is the most recommended, but I'd like to keep everything under $1000. I'd have to also buy speakers and I believe an amp is also necessary for a record player. Would I be able to get a high quality set up with that much or am I daydreaming? I'm really hesitant to buy anything used so try to keep everything at new price levels. (Terrified of them breaking outside of warranty and me being handy deficient)

If you are a newbie to vinyl I'd talk you out of it. If you are and old fish like me at 57 with a lot of vinyls kept from as early as my teenage era then you may have nostalgia for such stuff. Dilemma, eh? smile.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson184 View Post

In a $1k audio system you are pretty deep into robbing Peter to pay Paul for sound quality. Taking out $400 for a trip down vinyl lane seems contraindicated at this point. If you were investing $4K then I might not give such strict advice about vinyl. It's fun, but its not worth compromising the whole system to dabble with LPs. I say that as a person who has a better than average vinyl playback system.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 293
If you really want to get into vinyl, $1000 is enough to do it. The Carbon's a good start. A somewhat less expensive alternative is the Audio Technica LP120 for $240-250.

For amplification, the best value out there is a receiver. I'd look at the Onkyo 8020, which can be had for $160 and has the necessary phono input. (Many receivers and amps don't anymore.)

As for speakers, you'll have to decide if you want bookshelf speakers or floorstanders. In either case, there are a goodly number of decent makers to choose from.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #5 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 56
If you use cans as your primary listening source, there's no need for an amp and speakers just for LP. You'll simply need a phono preamp the bring the signal up to line level and equalise it. You can then add a cheap switchbox to select between analogue and digital sources, or unplug and plug in what you're going to listen to at the moment. For phono preamp, an OTTOMH suggestion is the Cambridge 640.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

Before you get too "fascinated" with vinyl, you might want to read this article:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/technical-articles-and-editorials/technical-articles-and-editorials/a-secrets-technical-article63.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/technical-articles-and-editorials/technical-articles-and-editorials/a-secrets-technical-article64.html

Pay special attention to Part 7.

I personally gave up on vinyl over 20 years ago, and have never regretted it.  It is expensive to do well, and even then, it is a very flawed format.  If I had had a valuable collection of rare discs, I would probably have kept a turntable in my system for them.  But otherwise, I see no reason for anyone to get into it now.

Of course, people are free to spend their money any way they choose.  This is just advice, that anyone may take or leave, as they see fit.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page