Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-17-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hello, I am about to add a SVS PB2000 to my current system which is made up of the following:
Yamaha RXV861 receiver
Parasound HCA1200mkii amp
NHT VT2/VS2 speakers
NHT HDP-1 rear speakers

I am using the Parasound amp to power the built in subs right now, but after I add the SVS I will use it to power my mains. I want to upgrade to NHT Classic Threes and to a Denon AVR4520.
My question is, since it will take a while to upgrade everything, what should I upgrade first? Speakers or receiver?
My living room is a vaulted ceiling, open floor plan. MLP is about 11 feet away and I listen 50/50 movies and music both loudly.biggrin.gif

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-17-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

what should I upgrade first? Speakers or receiver? My living room is a vaulted ceiling, open floor plan.

A powerful SVS sub is always a good choice. After that, your best upgrade is probably the acoustics of your room rather than speakers. This short article is mainly about home recording, but all the same principles apply to hi-fi and home theater acoustics too:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

what should I upgrade first? Speakers or receiver? My living room is a vaulted ceiling, open floor plan.

A powerful SVS sub is always a good choice. After that, your best upgrade is probably the acoustics of your room rather than speakers. This short article is mainly about home recording, but all the same principles apply to hi-fi and home theater acoustics too:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

+1.

I see the VT-2 as an upgrade of my 2.5i with a second midrange speaker which was a darn good idea because the 2.5i with just one midrange speaker was more of a finesse speaker than a powerhouse of dynamic range. I never took the 10" subwoofer too seriously and always used it with an 18" Earthquake subwoofer in a 14 cubic foot vented box. Long story short, a REAL sub from SVS, Hsu, Rhythmic, etc. would probably enhance your listening enjoyment considerably even if all you listened to was music.

The room acoustics upgrade is more work than just carting in a subwoofer and integrating it into your system (eased by the bass management features of your AVR) but this could be far more than just frosting on your cake. It would be like remaking the cake with butter and cream instead of Crisco and skim milk!
post #4 of 4 Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Thanks for all the input. Yeah I can't wait for the sub! Even though my VT2's have impressive bass when bi amped, I realize it won't be as good as the SVS. Plus it will let me use my Parasound full range for my mains. I have a feeling the sub alone will ease my upgraditis!tongue.gif
I don't know how much I can't do about room acoustics since it is the living room and not a dedicated theater. I'm having a hard enough time convincing my wife on adding a huge black box.
I am amazed how much of a difference doing little things can make on the sound. Just today I moved my VT2's 3" out into the room and the improvement in bass was incredible!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Yamaha Rx V861b Av Receiver 7 1 Channel , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver
Gear in this thread - V861b by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page